Chip shops face 'extinction' amid cost of living crisis

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our local chippy used to do a lunchtime special, small fish, small chips and peas with a can for £5. Stopped doing that now, small fish, small chips and peas now £7.20 plus £1.30 for a can. Is that the inflation we can look forward to?

I have heard them all, i remember asking for babie's yed chips and pea wallop in a chippy in Buxton o the look on the owners face
That’s nowt lad! T’chippy near me asked me to explain what “wi’ scraps” meant!

BTW, when you get older, it’s hard to keep garden peas on your fork so it’s better to order “mushy peas”; and as for asking for a “babies head” they look at you as if you’ve gone mad!

Britain - the land of dialects and local words!
athumb..

Our local chippy used to do a lunchtime special, small fish, small chips and peas with a can for £5. Stopped doing that now, small fish, small chips and peas now £7.20 plus £1.30 for a can. Is that the inflation we can look forward to?
After today's price rises definitely and more to come the robbing bas@@@ds

A bad news day asad1

Fish and chip shops are facing "extinction" amid rising costs, an industry body has warned.
Some shops in the West of England say the soaring price of cod, sunflower oil and energy has left them struggling.
The National Federation of Fish Friers is urging the government to cut VAT and help shops with energy bills.
A government spokesman said it is supporting businesses "of all sizes by slashing fuel duty" and introducing a 50% business rates relief.
The federation has secured a meeting with ministers on Thursday to push its message that the industry needs help.

'No longer top priority'

One manager said they feared some families were cutting out regular fish and chip nights due to the cost-of-living crisis.
Craig Williams, from Sand Bay Fish and Chip Shop near Weston-super-Mare, said the current situation was "worse" than during the pandemic.
"People were coming in to spend their money [when] they were furloughed," he said.

"People had money in their pockets, people are penny-pinching now. So fish and chips might not be top of their priority list on a Friday night."
Some shops are putting their prices up to stay afloat.
Bishopston Fish Bar on Gloucester Road in Bristol has already raised its prices three times this year, but staff hope they will not have to do it again.
Jason Ford, from the shop, said during the same period "business had dropped by about 30% per cent - but we're still going".

National Federation of Fish Friers President Andrew Crook revealed about 66% of shops had reduced opening hours to save money - equating to a fall in staffing levels of four people per shop.
He added: "Unfortunately this is potentially an extinction event for small businesses.
"It's like nothing we've ever seen before."
A government spokesman said: "We are working closely with industry to mitigate the impact our sanctions against Russia may have on British businesses, including through the creation of the £100m UK Seafood Fund.
"We're already supporting businesses of all sizes by slashing fuel duty, introducing a 50% business rates relief for eligible high street businesses and put the brakes on bill increases by freezing the business rates multiplier - worth £4.6 billion over the next five years."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-62650572
And that'll be just the start of it unless they abandon this crazy policy of useless windmills and get back to real energy supplies.

What real energy supplies do they need to get back to?
Oil, coal, gas and nuclear which we were once world leaders in. Fracking may offer a bridging option while it's sorted. But one thing is clear: we cannot go on having bills double every few months??

Earlier "real" energy supplies were mainly fossil fuels with a bit of nuclear. If we go back to fossil fuels, that really will be the end of it.
And we have enough coal for 300 years and more shale gas than was ever under the north sea. I'm sorry if this is unpalatable but the current state of affairs is even more so.

Yes and even more until they go out of business because everyone has to spend every penny on their bills and cannot afford to patronise their eateries. This was all so dismally predictable; if I were asked back in the 2000s where we'd be with energy in the longer term I would have said precisely where we are now. It's useless trying to operate a so-called 1st world country on toytown energy methods which rely on the weather. You get a long cold weather spell precisely because there;s no wind to move it about. Yet it's that wind our leaders think will power the country. It's not there when we really need it.

That’s nowt lad! T’chippy near me asked me to explain what “wi’ scraps” meant!

BTW, when you get older, it’s hard to keep garden peas on your fork so it’s better to order “mushy peas”; and as for asking for a “babies head” they look at you as if you’ve gone mad!

Britain - the land of dialects and local words!
athumb..
For me, fish and chips have to be cooked in beef dripping. As one chip shop owner I used to know said "Nothing else cuts the mustard".

And we have enough coal for 300 years and more shale gas than was ever under the north sea. I'm sorry if this is unpalatable but the current state of affairs is even more so.
The trouble is that you're just not radical enough, @maggy. The bottom line is, there are simply too many of us on this earth for the spud and fish stock to support. I'm waiting eagerly for our lad in Moscow to decimate the population then we'll all have a bigger slice of the cake, there'll by more than enough chip shops and pubs to go round and you'll be able to fry up your spuds in as much beef dripping as you like. I prefer WD40, myself, though.🚳🤣🤣

Oil, coal, gas and nuclear which we were once world leaders in. Fracking may offer a bridging option while it's sorted.
I dont think we will go back to destroying the planet by burning oil and gas for energy supplies.

But one thing is clear: we cannot go on having bills double every few months??
If the government get their act together we wont need to.

Latest posts

Back