Chocolate malt over load.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have been brewing an esb today which I scaled up from 23l to 25l.
I was delighted when the wife offered to help out so I gave her the job of weighing out the malt. She did so into a large container. I duly doughed in mashed etc. I was amazed at how dark the wort was. When I questioned her it turned out she'd put 184g of chocolate malt instead of 18.4
It's my fault because my writing is a scrawl.
Is this beer going to be drinkable?

Without seeing the rest of the recipe it's a bit difficult to give an opinion, but I'd say it'll just be a bit darker and roastier than expected. 184g of chocolate malt isn't exactly a lot in a 25l batch,👍

Is this beer going to be drinkable?
Absolutely. I put 500g of chocolate malt in a porter last year. 184g should give it a coppery/bid brown colour and some richness (depending on other malts in your grist). Perfectly drinkable 😋

I was delighted when the wife offered to help out so I gave her the job of weighing out the malt.
You gave a woman the job of weighing out chocolate malt? I'm not sure I understand the logic in that? And she's going to be pretty fed-up when she finds out chocolate malt doesn't taste like chocolate.

But to give her credit; at least you might taste 184g (just). Whereas who would taste 18g? (Where did .4 of a gram come from? I'd have to get my "special" weighing scales out to weigh that.). I'd put 25-50g in just to make 25L a shade darker in colour, knowing it won't change the flavour one bit.

You gave a woman the job of weighing out chocolate malt? I'm not sure I understand the logic in that? And she's going to be pretty fed-up when she finds out chocolate malt doesn't taste like chocolate.
Not sure there's any need to make a sexist comment about it, it's one of those mistakes any of us could make.

There seem to be a good number of very good female brewers on this forum, who I'm sure are all more than capable of weighing some malt. I'd also wager that seeing comments like this is pretty exasperating for them.

To be fair she has helped out before with no problems. I know the pale and crystal were right because they came from unopened bags and I didn't have quite enough torrified wheat anyway. Hops were all bang on. I did tell her to ignore the numbers after the decimal point It's just that you couldn't see it.
The wort did taste a bit toasty but I hit og near as dammit. Its now in the fridge and I will report back in six weeks.
Thanks for the replies.

I'm curious what the point of 18g was? A very slight color change?

I think the point in the post about the woman weighing out the malt...is that its CHOCOLATE malt...the word chocolate being highlighted in italics..come on get a grip...

I think the point in the post about the woman weighing out the malt...is that its CHOCOLATE malt...the word chocolate being highlighted in italics..come on get a grip...
In which case it infers that because she is a woman she's more interested in it being chocolate than what it actually adds to the beer. Whichever way you spin it, it's an unnecessary and derogatory comment that does a disservice to women who actively engage in brewing.

It's not a spin...and what if adds to the beer in the context is irrelevant...perhaps it might infer that women in particular have a weakness for chocolate...like my weakness for fishing tackle...Indian food...metal detectors..anything to do with Elvis..I'm off for a cry...

perhaps it might infer that women in particular have a weakness for chocolate...
Which is pretty much the point I was making in my previous post. It's a sexist stereotype and assumes that all women go gooey at the thought of chocolate.

I think I've made my point so I'll leave it there so it doesn't descend into World War 3.

It's not a spin...and what if adds to the beer in the context is irrelevant...perhaps it might infer that women in particular have a weakness for chocolate...like my weakness for fishing tackle...Indian food...metal detectors..anything to do with Elvis..I'm off for a cry...
I too have a weakness for chocolate...fishing tackle...Indian food and motorcycles.
I'm quite looking forward to sampling this brew now.

I can only speak from personal experience..
Leave it! :thumbsup:

I did it on purpose because I'm an aggravating git and I knew very well it would wind up a particular "type" of ... man! 🪠

All the women I know would read my comment and think "too ******* right!".

I'm quite looking forward to sampling this brew now.
And ... don't forget to buy your wife a bar of chocolate!

Latest posts

Back