Choosing a new grain mill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisRedWills

Regular.
Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers

My bulldog grain mill is now in brewers heaven so I'm looking for a replacement up to £150 any recommendations would be appreciated tia

Last edited by a moderator:
As for mills, most are happy with the Bulldog one but to be fair they all mainly look the same to me.

I'm not sure where did you get that, I never 'meet' a happy bulldog user. The quality and the workmanship is so poor, I'd never buy again. If someone is on budget, better to get something from AliExpress for quarter of the price of the bulldog.

I'm not sure where did you get that, I never 'meet' a happy bulldog user. The quality and the workmanship is so poor, I'd never buy again. If someone is on budget, better to get something from AliExpress for quarter of the price of the bulldog.
My Bulldog was horrendous. Difficult to adjust the rollers and easy to mess up the plate with a drill. I used to actually hate crushing grain with it and it did nothing to improve my efficiency.

I went to the compete opposite end of the scale with the Grainfather electric mill (it was a birthday present) and I love it.

I upgraded to the grainfather mill a while back and highly recommend it, dont think Ive seen any negative reviews other than the small hopper which isnt a big deal to me.

I bought a barley crusher about 15 years ago and it's still going strong. No idea if they still sell them or not

I’ve looked into this quite a bit and the Grainfather one mentioned above came out as the best. A bit over the price range but despite a lot of digging I can’t find any complaints so that’s the one I’ll eventually go for I think.

I would also recommend the GF mill. One advantage which never seems to be mentioned is that it is a lot easier to store that a metal mill with a big hopper attached.

G’day CRW My advice is to save up a bit and get one of these geared fluted mills and hopper, its my third mill, cost about the same as my first two! This will last me forever I mill quite slowly with a Ryobi brushless drill it does a brilliant job.

https://www.mashmaster.com

Thats another advantage of the GF mill, you dont need a separate drill. If you dont already have a drill the additional cost will probably work out around the same. Dont use a cheap drill either as it will burn out fairly quickly, I burnt out a Bosch cordless drill after about 60 batches on my old mill.

Thats another advantage of the GF mill, you dont need a separate drill. If you dont already have a drill the additional cost will probably work out around the same. Dont use a cheap drill either as it will burn out fairly quickly, I burnt out a Bosch cordless drill after about 60 batches on my old mill.
My cordless drill wouldn’t even turn the wheels in mine, luckily I inherited a pretty good electric drill shortly before I got the Bulldog mill or so would have hated it even more!

That's right, you ideally need a brushless sds drill. Due to the low rpm, and high torque the millin require.

Back