cider bottleing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doodaa

Reaction score
I think i already know this but I wanted to check, I am going to do my first cider when the wine I have on the go finishes but I'm not sure what bottle's to use when it's done.

Can I use clear beer bottles or do they have to be brown/green?

Can I use the bottles you attach the metal crown caps to or does it have to be the ones like grolsch lager bottles with the pivoting stopper attached to the bottle? I ask the last question because I read a recipe on-line and this is what it told you to use but they are very expensive.

Should also say I am going to add sugar at the point of bottling to add fizz

Cheers

Hi dude, fear not, you can use PET bottles, white glass, green glass, pink it doesn't matter. It's whatever you have and what ever is easier. Cider is usually quite a fizzy beast though so I would suggest using a nice thick magners/ gaymers bottle. But Grolsh bottles would be fine.
For cider I would add 2 teaspoons of sugar per 500ml bottle. Go to any pub that serves magners and they'll give you as many as you want as they're non returnable.

Personally I get the pub to save me Newcastle Brown bottles. It is easier with my capper for the bottles all to be the same size. Personally you should always use clear as golden cider is aesthetically pleasing. After a lot of explosion albeit sloe cider I now kill the yeast 10 days after bottling. Putting them into very large pan with the water at 70c lid on wait 10 minutes. Still fizzy but yeast is dead so no explosions. Also got loads of explosions with Cyser (honey and apples).

Latest posts

Back