Cider brew gone off?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlliesDad

Reaction score
Hi,

I think I know the answer to this but always like to check the opinions of the knowledgeable folk on here!

I put on a batch of cider five days ago using juice from my own apples, about 15 litres.

As it was from home juiced apples I was pretty free with the Campden tablets. I did the same with last years crop and it took something like 48 hours and two helpings of yeast to get that lot going.

Therefore I wasn't too worried when this batch didn't seem to be doing much straight away, no obvious bubbling through the trap, though there was a bit of noticeable expansion of the fermentation vessel so something was happening.

I decided to add a second dose of yeast but this failed to start any more vigorous reaction. So today I took a SG reading and it was reading 1.000, started at 1.050. Seems a bit unlikely that it has finished fermenting?

Also it didn't smell great! Didn't really smell "alcoholly", and not sure if the stuff floating on the surface should really be there!

Is there any chance for this brew or should I just ditch it and start again?

I am having a very similar thing, fermenting a batch of my own apple juice.
A very odd looking non-vigorous fermentation with lumpy bits on the surface.
Not helped by the fact that I didn't have a spare air lock, so have just kind of rested the lid on the FV, and can't monitor the fermentation very well.

I've not done it from real apples before, just supermarket juice.
These were freshly pressed apples, but no campdens - I didn't think of that.
I've done a right botch job for this brew. :)

Anyway, glad to hear that yours has got down to 1.000. Sounds like you have cider!

Saying I have cider may be a little optimistic!

Wife has suggested tasting it.

Hmmmmmmmm......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saying I have cider may be a little optimistic!

Wife has suggested tasting it.

Hmmmmmmmm......

Ha ha. Yes, I'm looking at the weird stuff in my FV and wondering if I'll be brave enough to try it. Let me know how your tasting goes. If you survive, I will try mine.

This is the first year I've pressed apples. I could not believe how lovely fresh apple juice tastes. Absolutely nothing like the cartons you buy from the shop. The kids necked about 3 litres of the stuff before I could get it in the FV.

Yes, the juice is fantastic!

I've just tried a bit (of the cider).

Seems fine, certainly no obvious taint.

I think I will rack it off tomorrow and see what happens after that.

You never know!

with the amount of effort it takes to crush 15 litres of juice I would never give up on it unless you were sure you had vinegar....

and never be shy about tasting - I always drink my hydrometer samples...

Yes, the juice is fantastic!

I've just tried a bit (of the cider).

Seems fine, certainly no obvious taint.

I think I will rack it off tomorrow and see what happens after that.

You never know!

Oh ye of little faith.....Ha Ha.....wait till its a few months old, then you will be smiling. :whistle:

Racked it off just now.

It's a bit cloudy but didn't taste too bad at all.
Added a bit of sweetener to a sample and seemed pretty good!

I've stuck it back in the airing cupboard to see if anything happens, although hydro still reads zero.

Would you move it somewhere cooler?

Also considered adding some metabisulphite, good idea at this point?

I put pectolase in at the start but it's still quite cloudy. Add some more or just leave it and see if it clears over time?

Cheers

a few points
- temp; even is much more important than hot. Probably too late for this batch but I've never bothered with the airing cupboard route - but then I am fortunate enough to have a cellar which is a steady 15 degrees in autumn.
- metabisulphite; I have never bothered. POnce hydrometer readings level out somewhere near 1.000 then one can be confident fermenatation is stopped.
- pect; no need to add more. it will clear naturally once fermentation stops and the yeasties die. keep in mind that you want the yeasties to be alive if planning to carbonate bottles using priming sugar - so bottling cloudy cider is the way to go.

Looking tasty.

F7A3BF71-6647-497C-8A4E-8D627D03ED56.jpg

Latest posts

Back