Cider in stainless steel equipment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonh

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve moved into a house with an old Apple tree. There’s a lot of fruit coming this year, and I’m interested to see what it’ll taste like as a cider — it’s an ex-farmhouse, so I’ve got visions of discovering a harvest of perfect cider apples planted by a farmer of the past!

I’m fairly experienced as an all grain beer brewer and have some kit that I hope could be reused. In particular, I’ve got an SS Brewbucket and Corny Kegs. I was planning to use these for fermentation and serving. However, when reading Andrew Lea’s craft cider book I see he warns that 304 strainless steel (which they’re both made of) can be corroded by the higher acidity of cider and 316 should be used instead. I really don’t want to mess up my best gear for an experimental cider batch, so I’m a bit put off.

What are everyone’s thoughts on this? Is 304 SS a no-no with cider, or is it something that actually is ok to use?

I’ve still got a glass carboy and bottles hanging around, so could use those. However, I’d rather not as they were such a pain :-).

Thanks for help in advance!

Looks OK if you believe this.
https://media.distributordatasoluti...albumstc_ustc_1_g_304sschartpdfClickHerea.pdfHowever this
https://www.homecidermaking.com/hard-cider-acidity-ta-ph/mentions malic , citric, and tartaric acids and using the same chart the second two throw that into doubt.
My view would be it would be find for short term use, but storing for weeks or months may not.
So unless someone has direct experience you either follow the guidance in Leas's book or feel the fear and do it anyway.

Acid good, Alkaline bad with stainless. I reckon you’ll be fine!

Acid good, Alkaline bad with stainless. I reckon you’ll be fine!
Unfortunately its not as simple as that. There's many different acids, both organic and inorganic, and not so many alkaline chemicals, and quite a few grades and types of SS. And they each have their own corrosion relationship. So when choosing a MoC for any chemical environment you have to look at whats involved in detail.

Thanks for the info everyone! I might go back to the glass carboy and bottles for this one — although I dread to think what’s lurking in the bottles after years of non-use!

We visited a cider producer in Normandy a couple of years ago. They fermented in large SS vessels (probably 10000l or so).

You'll fill 1 gallon carboy with 20 lbs of apples, at best. However, wines are fermented in stainless steel fermenters and the stainless of choice is AISI 304.

Latest posts

Back