Cider not starting fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavieW

Reaction score
Hi all
I’m new to this forum and new to cider making, although I’ve been making wine for a no of years. After looking at the two apple trees in my garden going to waste, I decided to make a scratter and press to harvest the juice. All has gone well, first pressing 36lt.
I split into two 18lt batches, added Camden powder, 4tsp per batch and waited 3 days. I then added some chalk to take the ph from 3.0 to 3.5. Then pectolase, a mug of strong tea, a tbls of yeast nutrient and an additional 350g of sugar to take the Sg from 1045 to 1055.
Both batches were pitched at 22c, one with a champagne yeast, the other with a cider yeast. After 5 days, no sign of a fermentation. On the 6th day I repitched with a starter, again no sign of fermentation.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the problem.
Yeasts are good, temp good, no leaks, no added ingredients with sorbate etc.
I can’t work out what the problem could be. It’s driving me nuts.
Worse as well to thick you might need to toss a batch after harvesting, storing, crushing and pressing

Thanks DavieC
Checked out the link, so I’ll keep the juice and try to repitch in a few days. Is there any advantage in racking of the juice from the sediment of the failed yeast and putting back after the fermenter has been washed out.
The Camden powder seems to be a potential issue, but I stuck to the dosing instructions. I know Camden powder isn’t the same strength as Camden tablets. There are other additions to the powder

Latest posts

Back