Cleaning hop bags

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gingerbrews

Regular.
Reaction score
I have just finished my latest CML Shession Ale and it's in the fermenter now.

Just wondering what everyone else does to clean their hop bags, or do you just throw them out?
CML kindly provide the bags and I'm too tight to throw them out,
so I give them a quick rinse, then boil in a pan for about 30 mins

I have just finished my latest CML Shession Ale and it's in the fermenter now.

Just wondering what everyone else does to clean their hop bags, or do you just throw them out?
CML kindly provide the bags and I'm too tight to throw them out,
so I give them a quick rinse, then boil in a pan for about 30 mins
I just rinse mine and throw them in with the next load of washing in the washing machine. When dry hopping with them i boil them just before i fill them and add them to the wort.

Not my favourite part of brewing! I rinse mine out until I get all the bits of grain and hops off them, then handwash with liquid detergent, and finally soak in VWP.

I don't use hop bags these days. I bought one of these and have been using it in my last few brews with success. Cleaning is much easier and quicker. I tie a length of string to the lid and the other end is tied to the handle of my Klarstein. The length is enough for the basket to be submerged in the wort.

The only downside, which isn't a problem really, is that for multiple hop additions during the boil, you need to remove it, unscrew the lid and add the hops. Obviously, the wort is at boiling temp, so you just need to be careful when removing the basket, give it a minute to cool before unscrewing the lid.

The other option similar to this, which I will probably invest in at some point, is a hop spider which is open at the top, allowing you to add hops whenever you want without needing to remove anything. For the moment though, I'm happy with the mesh basket and reduced faff upon cleaning.

Screenshot_20221022_113319.jpg

I just wash the hop bag in the hot water produced when cooling the wort , dry the bag and thats that, as is been said, the bag will be in boiling wort so no need to worry about any nasties.

Latest posts

Back