Cleansing & sanitising - will this do it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A question for other Star San users: how fussy do we need to be about removing the suds from freshly sanitised bottles? I give them a few vigorous shakeouts but the foamy residue is very tenacious.

wezil, I tried boiling the water but it went milky as soon as I added the Star San. So far Tesco Ashbeck is the only water I've found to stay clear.

There's no need to remove or worry about the suds. Just ignore them.

Well sure enough I filled up a 10 litre bucket at a ratio of 1.5ml Star San HB to tap water and came out like milk (pyrex jug on on the right). I then filled up the tall jug from an American Fridge Freezer with filter and that was slightly clearer but far from acceptable.

This morning I have gone and grabbed some 5L Asbeck Water (£1.10 each or 2 for £2 at Havant Tesco 5/1/15) - there were not many left! If add 15ml Star San to one of these bottles how long will it last for? Does the sterilisation power of the solution decrease with time?

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

will this stuff work the same Star san and stuff? Ive ordered a tub but want to know if I should get Star san instead.

Details below from website (homebrewwest.ie) that are selling it.

Chemipro OXI No Rinse Cleaner Sterilizer 1 Kg
THE new, no-rinse, environmental friendly cleaner for all light duty cleaning in just one treatment !

Active oxygen minimizes contact time and guarantees a hygienic cleaning.

No need to rinse, simply leave to drain.

Dose : 4 g / litre hot water Contact time : 2 - 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Well sure enough I filled up a 10 litre bucket at a ratio of 1.5ml Star San HB to tap water and came out like milk (pyrex jug on on the right). I then filled up the tall jug from an American Fridge Freezer with filter and that was slightly clearer but far from acceptable.

This morning I have gone and grabbed some 5L Asbeck Water (£1.10 each or 2 for £2 at Havant Tesco 5/1/15) - there were not many left! If add 15ml Star San to one of these bottles how long will it last for? Does the sterilisation power of the solution decrease with time?

I made mine up with Ashbeck and it went cloudy within a week so I ordered some PH testing strips. 2 weeks later it's still sitting below 2 ph so well within the usable range (which is max 3.5 I believe). I'll be doing my next lot with tap water and seeing how that comes out. How long it stays viable for seems to vary so the best thing to do is get some ph strips.

I'm planning to mix my next batch with rainwater, which contains zero dissolved minerals and should have similar properties to distilled.

Has anybody done this?

I made mine up with Ashbeck and it went cloudy within a week so I ordered some PH testing strips. 2 weeks later it's still sitting below 2 ph so well within the usable range (which is max 3.5 I believe). I'll be doing my next lot with tap water and seeing how that comes out. How long it stays viable for seems to vary so the best thing to do is get some ph strips.

Cheers DrMick for doing the leg work with the PH strips on the this. Never had a problem with cloudy star san myself, in fact I don't think I've ever used clear star san as it always goes cloudy almost immediatly as soon as I dilute it.

I'd de-chlorinate the tap water before using it to dilute the star san with. Yes, only a bit of star san will eventually come in contact with your beer but chlorinated water and beer don't mix well as I've read it can give it a medicinal taste (use a brita filter jug myself) to beer

+1 on chlorinated water and beer not mixing well. I didn't dechlorinate the water for my first brew and it had medicinal flavours - never went away even after months of conditioning.

My water contains chloramines - which is even worse.

1. When I run the tap I can smell it sometimes (not as strong as a swimming pool but definitely there). I'm also convinced I can taste it.

2. I read on the website of Thames Water, who supply my water, that they use chloramines.

3. The water takes on a subtle green tint if you put it in a white bucket in the sunshine.

+1 on chlorinated water and beer not mixing well. I didn't dechlorinate the water for my first brew and it had medicinal flavours - never went away even after months of conditioning.

Doesn't a Campden Tablet provide some dechlorination?
"kill bacteria and to inhibit the growth of most wild yeast: this product is also used to eliminate both free chlorine, and the more stable form, chloramine, from water solutions (i.e., drinking water from municipal sources). Campden tablets allow the amateur brewer to easily measure small quantities of sodium metabisulfite, so it can be used to protect against wild yeast and bacteria without affecting flavour."

Good to know Star San solution doesn't need to be crystal clear to be viable.
I think Ashbeck water ph must vary a bit. Assuming it really does come out the ground (and not from Tesco's kitchen tap! :hmm:) it's reasonable to suppose the mineral content will alter from week to week depending on erosion, rainfall levels etc. My 5l solution was knocked up at least 2 weeks ago and I can still read a newspaper through it.

Here's a question I don't think has come up so far (apologies if it has) but for how long do Star San treated bottles stay sanitized?
Reason I ask is that I'm in the middle of a bottling session but was wildly optimistic about the time and now have to go out for a few hours after treating all the bottles. Will have to leave the beer in the bottling bucket for now but do you think I'll need to re-sanitize the bottles? (Please someone tell me 'no, they'll be fine')! :pray:

Here's a question I don't think has come up so far (apologies if it has) but for how long do Star San treated bottles stay sanitized?
Reason I ask is that I'm in the middle of a bottling session but was wildly optimistic about the time and now have to go out for a few hours after treating all the bottles. Will have to leave the beer in the bottling bucket for now but do you think I'll need to re-sanitize the bottles? (Please someone tell me 'no, they'll be fine')! :pray:
I think if you cover the holes with sanitised foil they'll be ok for quite a while, certainly a few hours

Latest posts

Back