Cloning with a kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clibit

Reaction score
Posters occasionally ask if there's a kit that is like a particular beer. Or how to replicate a beer using a kit with some tweaks. I think it's optimistic to expect a close match using a kit as a base, it's hard enough with all grain, I don't try myself, but you can make beers that contain the same grains and hops, and are therefore similar. Especially if you choose your yeast carefully.

My suggestion is to use a bland beer kit as a base. Then steep hops and boil the steeping liquid with the hops that are used for flavour and aroma in your target beer. London Pride is very popular, and a good, simple recipe to build. I found this recipe for the stronger American version on byo.com ...

19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.048 FG = 1.012
IBU = 33 SRM = 14
ABV = 4.7%

Ingredients
4.1 kg Pale ale malt
400g crystal malt (75 °L)

15g Target hops (60 min)
10g Challenger hops (15 mins)
10g Northdown hops (15 min)
Wyeast 1968 (London ESB) or White Labs WLP002

An unfussy way to do this be would be to use a kit like Coopers Canadian blonde as your base and add enough spray malt to get an OG of around 1045. Steep 400g of crystal. Boil the wort from this with 10g Challenger and 10g Northdown for 15 .

Use the liquid yeasts shown in the recipe if you want to use a yeast very close to Fullers, and if you don't mind paying for them. Or try Safbrew S33 perhaps, or Mauribrew Ale yeast and ferment a bit warm, 22-24C.

If you want to be more accurate on IBUs etc, check out the kit specs and use a beer recipe calculator to fine tune your recipe. You could boil some hops for 30 minutes to increase the IBUs, for example. Get the OG you want by adjusting the amount of spray malt.

You can apply this approach to lots of beers. You won't get an exact clone, but you'll get something not a million miles away, especially if you get clever or lucky with your yeast choice.

Back