CommsBiff - First Extract - Group Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleman

Regular.
Reaction score
Brave Lad to throw his first ever extract brew in for a review, as part of the forum brew. I love his labels . . . clear concise and to the point :lol:, lovely phuuutttt on opening, and being a well behaved beer it decided to stay put in the bottle until pouring . . . . which it did so to reveal a pale brown beer, a restriction of the use ofmalt extract, but not a problem. Nice aroma on my not so gentle pouring flowery/citrussy

CB_Beer01.jpg
CB_Beer02.jpg

Taste wise, there is a nice bitterness, bit peppery, hint of citrus, which certainly coats your tongue well . . .a very subdued malt presence, and a marginally thin body. . . . but crisp and clean . . . certainly not a hint of THT anywhere . . . a very nice clean beer to accompany my Peri Peri chicken, which will help cleanse my palate rather well.

Very nice beer . . . wish my first extract had been this good.

Cheers, Aleman. Thanks v much for the review. When there are peeps like you who can review a beer with as detailed an account, it put's mine (pm'd to you) to shame. I'm pleased it went well with the peri peri ;)

Ok here goes :thumb:
Like Aleman I loved the label :grin:
It had cleared down really well in the bottle after it's rough trip through the post.
The bottle opened with a healthy hiss, the beer poured very cleanly with the sediment staying put so that I could pour almost the whole bottle :D
There was very little head formed
The colour is darker than I had expected and is reminiscent of Newcastle Brown Ale. But I was warned of this by the brewer as he used black tights to boil the hops in rather than light tan :lol:
There was a low but adequate level of carbonation.
My first impression on the nose was that of the cheesy feet smell that I sometimes get with Fuggles hops, which gave way to a lovely floral almost parma violet floral aroma :D
The flavour in the mouth is initially sweet which gives way to a mild bitterness which slowly increases after swallowing which is very pleasant.
It is a very palatable beer which I would happily drink all night long :thumb:
Well done commsbiff what a great first extract :clap:

Cheers for the feedback TS - gratefully received. If I were to brew this or similar again, I would probably: steep something to aid head retention, use a hop bag (they're so cheap) rather than tights, and add slightly more priming sugar :thumb:

CIMG2677300x225.jpg

I received a bottle of CB's group brew a long while ago, and have finally got to taste and review it, apologies CB for the lateness.
I think Aleman and t_s have it pretty much spot on.

Mine opened with a dull hiss and when poured the sediment stayed in the bottle right to the end. The head was a little subdued as was the carbonation, but I like my beer with little carbonation anyway. The majority of the aroma was floral, some citrus and I also got apple.
I found the body a little thin and inititial sweetness faded to leave a nice bitterness and pepper taste.
All in all a nice clean pint, one which you can be justly proud of for a first brew :thumb:

Well done that man :clap:

Latest posts

Back