condescending LHBS

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found them very helpful but I don't know enough to argue with them! Godsdog you must be fairly local to me

How does gypsum have a sell-by date? Isn't it already tens of millions of years old by the time they pull it out of the ground?

I was going to say the same thing, Having worked in a lab for 23 years we were obliged to put expiry dates on inorganic chemicals that ,as you say, have lain in the ground for years before being purified and bottled. We used to just renew the expiry dates as long as they are properly stored. Organic compounds and solvents are different and may be more volatile or subject to degradation but the likes of salt, and gypsum will last forever if not contaminated.

That's my closest too. I've never really had any problems. They do stock more water treatment stuff now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair to them it was a few years ago so they may have changed. It's too easy to order online now anyway.

How does gypsum have a sell-by date? Isn't it already tens of millions of years old by the time they pull it out of the ground?

:lol:
Yeah you're right, and of course I still used it. I thought it might have something to do with moisture absorption though I have no idea if gypsum is even affected that way if not stored properly.

I don't mind a shop offering me advice but the least I expect is that they are friendly and knowledgeable, not just repeating the same thing they learned 30 year's ago and haven't been bothered to update.

There have been occasions when. I would have loved a local homebrew shop but my nearest one is expensive, doesn't sell whole malt and isn't open at the weekend. That makes it pretty much zero use to me, so they don't get any of my business.

just want to have a general gripe about my go to LHBS,went in yesterday at the great barr one near Birmingham off the newton road,some of you will know it but all I wanted was some crystal malt to do a kind of mini mash with my kit and got a lecture off them telling me you cant do that and when I pointed out that I follow a very good homebrew forum their reply was astonishing,dont take any notice of them they don't know what theyre doing and we have been supplying brewerys for over 30 years.i always find them to be aloof and I know better than you smugness,glad I got that off my chest,yes they have a good selection of homebrew stuff but the whole shopping experience is not good,friendly advice yes but not their way

They are right though. You can't mash crystal alone.

Obviously they way they said it wasn't to your taste though.

K

They are right though. You can't mash crystal alone.

Obviously they way they said it wasn't to your taste though.

K

You can't mash crystal malt as it doesn't have enzymic potential but you can steep it to extract the sugars produced in the malting/kilning process.

You can't mash crystal malt as it doesn't have enzymic potential but you can steep it to extract the sugars produced in the malting/kilning process.

Yes but the OP asked for crystal to do a mini mash.

K

Nature's way, newtownards rd. Not terribly local but the closest I have. Now I have a couple of friends who use it all the time, but I'm not a fan.
Lol, was in there buying exactly that last weekend (and nothing ood either btw)...

We're all on a learning curve I suppose. She did mention that there was no CRS in stock as basically nobody had come looking for it in well over a year. Leads me to suppose that those who are taking things to the water treatment level are going elsewhere...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

just want to have a general gripe about my go to LHBS,went in yesterday at the great barr one near Birmingham off the newton road,some of you will know it but all I wanted was some crystal malt to do a kind of mini mash with my kit and got a lecture off them telling me you cant do that and when I pointed out that I follow a very good homebrew forum their reply was astonishing,dont take any notice of them they don't know what theyre doing and we have been supplying brewerys for over 30 years.i always find them to be aloof and I know better than you smugness,glad I got that off my chest,yes they have a good selection of homebrew stuff but the whole shopping experience is not good,friendly advice yes but not their way

I'd have argued the toss with them, but then I'm just bloody minded. Crystal malt is perfectly acceptable as part of a mash. On its own it only needs steeping.

If they were trying to clarify that point, then they could have done a better job. Rather than dismissing an entire community dedicated to home-brewing. Great way to alienate existing and potential customers.

You should have given them some advice on running a business and building positive realtionships with customers.....:thumb:

+1 on that
The only sell by date relevant to gypsum concerns plaster which does go off if left in a damp environment as any d-i-y's out there will tell you. But that's bugger all to do with adding a few gms to treat brewing water.

Gypsum huh? What is for a 100g tub, a couple of quid maybe? Costs me a tenner for a 25Kg sack for my denture repair business. Hmm...

...when he devises a cunning plan to repackage his sack of dental gypsum into trendy hipster homebrew additives for £40 a go to any "craft brewers" he can....

Latest posts

Back