Control Box UK Inkbird PID -> SSR -> Element - Element Isolator Switch Help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megacoolsurfdude

Reaction score
Hi folks! my first post here after lurking in the background here for a while now ...

I have built a control box where currently I'm only monitoring a HLT for recirculation to/from the MT .. I have got this working however I would like very much to add an isolator switch for the element as well as a nice little light to indicate when the Element is On/Off. I'm conscious that I can't just add a switch in series with the element but unsure where else I could add it ... Maybe between the PID and SSR perhaps? I'm using an Inkbird ITC-100VH to SSR-25 DA - my version is UK specific without pin 7 on the PID and obviously 240v AC. See attached drawing where I've added the isolator switch and LED - would really appreciate some advice to potentially save myself from a quite nasty electric shock ashock1

Diagram

I've made a couple of edits to your drawing, including a switch on the L just after the fuse (actually it should be before the fuse but I drew it in the wrong place and couldn't be bothered changing it!) which will isolate everything. The switch will need to be rated >10A. The positon you had the switch would work to turn off the heater but it wouldn't be an effective isolator.

The LED as you had it was no good because it was in parallel with the N/O contact. The way I've shown it now will work but of course it will need to be a 230V indicator, but probably a better option would be to use a 12v LED connected across terminals 3 and 4 on the SSR. (Edited for typos)

Ua6S4CJ.jpg

Last edited:
If you treat terminal 2 of the SSR as the “Live” feed, and connect your DPST switch across terminal 2 and Neutral, when the switch is ON the light will blink ON and OFF as the heater is switched ON and OFF. When the switch is OFF the heater will be isolated and the light will be OFF.

Is that what you were looking for?

Back