Coopers Cerveza Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahem, let's just say 7 days from start FV to my mouth didn't work out too well...

So.... I brewed my cerveza for about 9-10 days on primary with a brew belt at 24 degrees , then batch primed and bottled . It's been bottled since early december , cracked one open early . Tastes nice , good and clear and fizzy but does have a yeasty after taste . Is this just a homebrewy taste ? I read that some brew for 2 weeks or more is this the key to a better taste? I'm seem abit cautious about all the yeast dieing and then not being able to make the bottles fizzy ? I live in Stevenage would love a couple of helpful pointers for next batch . Cheers

Done a few of these now and never noticeda yeasty taste on any.

Just do what the instructions on the kit say and you can't go wrong honest.

@Hugh Jaynus. I wouldn't worry about the yeasts dying and not carbonating. There are a few reasons why you might have a yeasty taste - I should know, as I hit all of them making this brew - one of them would be not giving the beer enough time in the FV (give it two weeks, possibly up to three), another would be brewing at too high a temperature. 24degrees is probably a touch too high, but maybe not too much.

You should find that the yeasty taste will die down after leaving the bottles longer to condition. It sounds like you gave it just less than a month - try leaving it for one or two more and the taste should be much improved :thumb: .

Thanks chaps, most appretiated !the Mrs bought me a fish tank heater for crimbo so next batch will do alittle cooler. This brewing melarky is truly addictive!!

Hi guys

This is my first ever brew. Brewed it on 13th with 1kg BE1 and got a OG of 1048 ??? (think im might have read the hydrometer wrong after seeing the values everybody else is getting). Has been in the FV for just over a week now at between 15-18 degrees as this is the best I can do for temperature due to rubbish storage heaters in my hosuse. All signs of fermentation have died down and my hydrometer reading has only been dropping by about a point every day for the last 4 days, it is now 1013. I know I am brewing colder than recommended so expected a slower fermentation but am a bit worried this might stall or not reach the 1005-1008 reading that other people are seeing due to the slow fermentation. Am I just worrying to much or does this sound about right?

:wha:

Cheers

So whats the general thoughts on this one? 1kg brewing sugar and 500g extra light malt extract?

Dont want to hop this as i dont have enough brown bottles so will be going in clears instead.

Will be fermenting at 18c, perhaps use a different yeast?

This was my first brew and a month on it tastes absolutely horrible - a bit cidery and quite undrinkable. I made the mistake of just using 1kg Dex, although I did brew a bit short to 20l.

I think it might be the temperature as well, I think it was mostly around the 24c mark. I'm hoping that some more time in the bottle will improve it, but it's not likely since the Coopers Canadian Blonde I started 2 weeks ago already tastes much much nicer than this.

Just bottled this tonight after a crash cooling for a week in a secondary. I have to say I was very impressed with it when I drank a tiny bit a very drinkable larger and crystal clear. Just got to wait for it to condition now.
etynarys.jpg

dhendy91 said:
Hi guys

This is my first ever brew. Brewed it on 13th with 1kg BE1 and got a OG of 1048 ??? (think im might have read the hydrometer wrong after seeing the values everybody else is getting). Has been in the FV for just over a week now at between 15-18 degrees as this is the best I can do for temperature due to rubbish storage heaters in my hosuse. All signs of fermentation have died down and my hydrometer reading has only been dropping by about a point every day for the last 4 days, it is now 1013. I know I am brewing colder than recommended so expected a slower fermentation but am a bit worried this might stall or not reach the 1005-1008 reading that other people are seeing due to the slow fermentation. Am I just worrying to much or does this sound about right?

:wha:

Cheers

Just two thoughts;
1. Did you check the accuracy of your hydrometer? At 20*C it should read 1.000 (at least mine should, but doesn't, so I know mine is inaccurate, you may have one too)
2. Since you are fermenting at a cooler temp, do you allow your sample to get to room temp before taking a reading? You may find the gravity drops a few points.
Perhaps that is helpful.

Cheers

Hi I have now bottled this and it finished up at 1009. I bought a new hydrometer two which defiantly works now. The hardest bit now is leaving it alone to carbonate. Tried one yesterday though and even though it wasn't that carbonated was very impressed with it

I had wrote this one off as a learning experience, but then I cracked open an archived bottle tonight and I must say it has improved massively over the 6 weeks it's been in the bottle. Don't get me wrong, it's not the best one I've done by far (Evil Dog is the best one I've done) but it's at the stage where it's very drinkable. The biggest flaws now are the lack of head and thinnish body, but still drinkable :cheers:

Markdon said:
Undercarbed but still doesnt taste great. First brew thats really made me feel "meh", watery malty water with little flavour. Shame. Probably down to me but wont be brewing again.

I bottled on 29/12/2013 and a month or so later I was ready to bin mine - now it's very very drinkable, after initially being extremely under carbed it's even developed head retention and the missus seems to like it. Every other brew I've done has been drinkable within a few weeks, but this one has taken months. I'd say you should wait and see if time fixes it like it did mine.

On my last few bottles of this now and is approaching two months in the bottle. Now well carbonated and a nice drink for a hot summers( spring) day. I might brew it again and save until the summer

I've got one of these I wanted to get on for summer. Haven't read the whole thread but was thinking of doing 500g light spray malt, 700g dextrose and using a coopers european lager yeast I have leftover, what do you think?

Back