Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mick may said:
ScottM said:
bottler said:
I have brewed this kit before christmas with 1kg brew enhancer alone and it was a very nice beer. I have another one of these kits, 500gms extra dark dme, a tin of treacle all at hand. I was maybe going to add 1kg brew enhancer, oh and i have a stick of licorace from homebrew shop. Would the enhancer be too much? I wont be brewing it for a few weeks yet.

I got mine going tonight. Went with the following:

Coopers Stout Kit
1kg Brewing Sugar
500g Dark DME
454g Dark Treacle

Topped up to 23L I got a corrected OG of 1.050, incidentally exactly what I calculated :D

Looked like this after the topup......

7c7ac365dd46dec3061f835910f14675.jpg

Can't wait :D

hi scott
that looks great ...
what temperature is that at...

regards mick... :hat: .

23 degrees :)

ok i see thats about the same as mine ... :thumb: .
look out for the rocket in about 15 hrs then ... :eek: ...

mick may said:
ok i see thats about the same as mine ... :thumb: .
look out for the rocket in about 15 hrs then ... :eek: ...

That was when I pitched though, sitting at 20 now :)

Markus said:
Monkeybrew said:
I've done with treacle and without, but find the treacle too overpowering. I might do a honey stout next time though :)

Can you describe what kind of flavour the black treacle adds?

I have stout drinking uncles and pals who are always at me to brew some. Going to go with the Coopers kit, 500g Dark spraymalt, black treacle and maybe some dark brown sugar. Was also going to add some cocoa powder at bottling but I'm not sure I should risk it since these guys are traditional stout men.

Thanks

Ive done the coopers stout kit and at LHBS bought a chocolate essence bottle only about a shots worth and tipped it in to the pressure barrel before filling it. I’m a novice so didn’t want to try adding actual chocolate or powder its too risky and essence is basically the oils anyway which is what you want (I think). I added the full bottle but tbh I think only 2/3 is enough for a 23ltr brew its not overpowering and bad but the whole bottle I think is too much its strong stuff. Cost less than £2 aswell and they had dozens of choices coffee, vanilla, orange could add anything really and avoid the risk of a powdery pint

gifford said:
Markus said:
Monkeybrew said:
I've done with treacle and without, but find the treacle too overpowering. I might do a honey stout next time though :)

Can you describe what kind of flavour the black treacle adds?

I have stout drinking uncles and pals who are always at me to brew some. Going to go with the Coopers kit, 500g Dark spraymalt, black treacle and maybe some dark brown sugar. Was also going to add some cocoa powder at bottling but I'm not sure I should risk it since these guys are traditional stout men.

Thanks

Ive done the coopers stout kit and at LHBS bought a chocolate essence bottle only about a shots worth and tipped it in to the pressure barrel before filling it. I’m a novice so didn’t want to try adding actual chocolate or powder its too risky and essence is basically the oils anyway which is what you want (I think). I added the full bottle but tbh I think only 2/3 is enough for a 23ltr brew its not overpowering and bad but the whole bottle I think is too much its strong stuff. Cost less than £2 aswell and they had dozens of choices coffee, vanilla, orange could add anything really and avoid the risk of a powdery pint
I've seen these and wondered how good they are.
The nearest i've seen to a straight chocolate is alpine chocolate and almond i think.
Stuff such as chocolate essence available of tinterweb for about a fiver for 60ml.

Finally got the shed sorted out in anticipation of the kegerator build, so the king keg of Coopers Stout got duly shifted out.
It's been in secondary for about two and a half weeks and I thought I'd try a quick sample purely for quality control purposes of course.
It's bloody lovely and easily as good as any I've had in a pub.
This is gonna be a great drink given a bit more time.

I've had some in bottles, in secondary, for just 3 days. Thought I ought to check how it's getting on.

My goodness, it's going to get even better than this?!?

This is better than the stout I tried last night in the North Laine (pub in Brighton). I'm not dissing their beers (they're brewed on the premises, and are fantastic), just saying this is more to my taste.

A few more days in secondary, then into the cold with it. If it lasts that long...!!!

PS I brewed this to the full 23l, used 1Kg Wilko brewing sugar plus 500g Muntons medium DME, and then primed the bottles individually with demerara.

I've said this before - we should do a 'Best Kit' poll - surely this deserves to win?

Now I don't feel quite so silly for snapping up 4 kits while Tesco have them reduced. Thought I'd overdone it at first!

I was in the north laine pub a couple of weeks ago and thought their stout was very good.

If this coopers one is better I may just have to give it a go once my festival "pride of london" porter is finished.

As in my topic, I'm still waiting for this one to finish its business, had a sneak peak the other day and she smelt beautiful, black as coal and thick as syrup. It's been 14 days so far and hopefully she will have finished today as she sits pretty on at least 8%...certainly a half pint drink!

Started a Coopers Stout 4 days ago With 1.5 kg of Coopers dark malt extract and 454 g of dark treacle and 50g of sugar made to 20 litres start gravity 1056 . i am going to bottle this brew what type os suger should i use in the bottles

stoutman said:
Started a Coopers Stout 4 days ago With 1.5 kg of Coopers dark malt extract and 454 g of dark treacle and 50g of sugar made to 20 litres start gravity 1056 . i am going to bottle this brew what type os suger should i use in the bottles

You won't be using a great deal so I would just go with white sugar if you have it. Some people use dark treacle though, just to stay with the same pattern. I believe you want around 120g of sugar, total, for bottling, so I believe that would be around 190g of dark treacle.

hong said:
Kyle, what did you add to it to get it up to 8%?

I used the Coopers 1.7kg malt extract, 908g of Black Treacle, 500g Dried Malt Extract and 1.2kg Dextrose. Brewed to 21 Litres.

Brewed this to 22l on tuesday night with 850g of brewing sugar 500g of DME and 454g of black treacle' which i forgot to add before I took the OG! So got 1046 without the treacle, therefor I imagine 1048 -1050OG after ?

Anyway I've just removed the krausen collar and checked the gravity, which is 1008 already! Obviously I tried the sample and my god its good to go already! . Cant believe how good it tastes, surly it cant go any lower?

I,ll leave it for ten days anyhow as I've ran out of bottles as I've jyt bottled my wherry and am working my way through my coopers IPA which is getting better by the day. So hard though trying to build up the initial stocks...

:cheers:

That's really low, I'm surprised it's went that low to be honest, given the ingredients added, as there are so many unfermentables in that mix.

I went with virtually the same other than I used 1kg of brewing sugar. My DME was dark, did you go with dark too?

1.010 is as far as mine has gone, leaving it for another week but I'm fairly certain its finished. My OG was 1.050. I would have thought, given the extra brewing sugar, that yours would have been higher than mine. Can never tell without using the same hydrometer etc though :)

Yeah scott I used the dark spray malt, but I used 150g less sugar than you but brewed to 1 litre less so I would imagine my starting OG was not far off yours?. I have also not calibrated my hydrometer so it could infact be 1010 corrected I dont know.

Either way the results are great although I read on another forum that the best way to do this kit is with 1kg of extra dark spray malt and a mug of sugar, so wil try that next

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back