Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kegged my stout almost a week ago. It is sitting in the kitchen where it was brewed. Is it best to leave a bit longer there & then somewhere cooler like the garage?

hong said:
I kegged my stout almost a week ago. It is sitting in the kitchen where it was brewed. Is it best to leave a bit longer there & then somewhere cooler like the garage?

Yeah you want around 2 weeks to be sure that all the sugar has turned to CO2/Alcohol :)

I am just cleaning my gear ready for tonight to start this off I am going with 500g of dme 850g muscovado sugar and 454g of dark treacle with some chocolate extract in the secondary ,i have got brave as this is my third kit but all started this month so only just started but this all sounds exellent , i will post my results later, atb wayne

I created a recipe based on this brew for all grain, the comparison will be interesting as this is a proper nice pint.

ryanshelton said:
Reading all the posts as inspired me to do this. Along with the kit what else would you recommend to get the best from it?
I made this kit last year, using 1 kg brew enhancer and it was great. I will be doing another one shortly and will be using
500gms extra dark dme
1 kg brown muscovado sugar
420gms treacle
a bit of licorace from home brew shop.
What it will taste like i hav'nt a clue, but im hopeful. It should end up a strong drink, and i WILL drink all of it, even if its ****... for punishment :whistle:

For anyone wanting to try this its back on tescos direct at £9.77 :clap: . if you go onto the tescos site it says its not in stock but i filled out the form for stock alerts and got one the next day to say its back in i got three while they had them :thumb: , atb wayne

mereside said:
For anyone wanting to try this its back on tescos direct at £9.77 :clap: . if you go onto the tescos site it says its not in stock but i filled out the form for stock alerts and got one the next day to say its back in i got three while they had them :thumb: , atb wayne

great post wayne.. :thumb: .

thats where i got mine yesturday ... :D ..

regards mick... :hat: .

mereside said:
I put down for a stock update for European lager at 5:35pm which was out of stock.
I got the alert at 6:06pm, quick bit of shelf stacking by the good people at tesco? :clap: :clap:
The Pale Ale alert I put in the week before took only a few hours too.

Had this in the FV for 11 days now and last night took a FG reading of 1007 so as usual I necked the simple and my god this is fantastic with a lovely mouth feel :tongue:. Anyway as I've got the Cooper's FV with the tap, I thought another trial jar full wouldn't hurt, which then became another!

Whilst I was enjoying these I was looking on another forum about bottling this stuff, when I came across the Ditch's Stout thread again, which I'm sure a few of you would have heard of?. Anyway 'ditch' likes his stout flat and more often than not drinks it all straight from the primary FV after the initial10 days fermentation!.

So I poured myself a pint a drank a fantastic pint of stout after just 10 days. Obviously there wasn't much head to speak of and it was slightly on the warm side but I would have no problem drinking the lot like this. But as it happens I need my FV so will be bottling tomorrow. Can anyone tell me from experience what is the least amount of sugar I can get away with for the beer to have a half decent head without being too fizzy?

:cheers:

I use 1/2 teaspoon for stout, but if you like less fizz , maybe 1/4 teaspoon, havnt tried it myself.

Ive been picking up bits for my first kit brew whilst brewimg a few wines and tc, this has caught my eye in tesco as a good start.

I cant get to the homebrew store very often and can only find coopers brew enhancer 1 & 2 at tesco which seem to have recomended additions....... but which one is recomended? Or simply a bag of white sugar from the other end of the store? :)

Brew enhancer 2 for the darker beers is better and will produce a great pint from what I've read on here and in other forums.

Had another 2 pints last night and whilst it was still nice I found the treacle a little overpowering by the end of the 2nd pint. I've just bottled it so hopefully it may mellow out a touch.

Well, after a few hours of washing, draining, sterilising and syphoning, the brew has been bottled, got 37 bottles out of 21 litres, 2 of the buggers broke! and half a pint ended up in my belly. It was black enough to make a lovely mirror of the ceiling, the smell is gorgeous but its way to sweet at the moment, only problem now is forcing myself to wait 8 weeks before trying it...Cue sad face.

Bottled mine on sunday with a 1/4 tsp of brewing sugar, and had one bottle right at the end that was only 3/4 full. So I cracked it open last night. I had already drank a couple of pints from the FV as it was that good but as I got to the end of the 2nd I found the 454g of treacle I Used, to be a little overpowering. It was obviously still there last night although the carbonation helped so it was still a fantastic pint, but one that I could probably only manage 2 of 3 max at this stage. Mind you at 5.7% this came out at 2 or 3 maybe enough :)

I've been told that as the beer matures that the treacle taste will mellow out slightly, has anyone else found this? as I would like to give some out for people to try as I've been banging on about what a good pint it was going to be!

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back