Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine on the go a little overt 24 hours ago and nothing is happening yet - temp is 22.5 C courtesy of a fish tank heater and a thermal jacket for insulation (measured accurately by my no-doubt illegal mercury thermometer). How soon does fermentation take off with these kits?

Got mine on the go a little overt 24 hours ago and nothing is happening yet - temp is 22.5 C courtesy of a fish tank heater and a thermal jacket for insulation (measured accurately by my no-doubt illegal mercury thermometer). How soon does fermentation take off with these kits?

Mine is already subsiding, having achieved the frothiest Krausen I've ever seen in under 24 hrs.

After 48 hours of nothing happening I ucked in a sachet of Wilkinsons Gervin yeast and at least I have a head formed - I suspect I'm getting a slow-burn fermentation so I'll let it run and see what comes out the other end in the fullness of time.

I made this as my first brew back in September as it is a quick one. I used 1kg DME, it tastes great. I'm tempted to have another bash, but give it some real bite. Has anyone tried the recipes on the coopers site which mix it with a can of coopers dark ale and 1kg dextrose? Or adding a further kit (lager) on top of that lot?

made this to 4 gallon with medium spray malt 500g and 700g of brewing sugar. bottled half and primed with table sugar. the other two gallon i kegged and primed with 40g of black treacle.
left it 6 weeks before trying.
bottled was nice enough but the kegged is in a different league imo.
its smooth with a good beige coloured head. good body and tastes lovely.

kegged version wins hands down to me :thumb:

I'm a bit underwhelmed by this to be honest. I brewed with 1kg of DME and 150-200g of honey. and I find that it leaves a bit too much of a slimy, filmy after-taste in my mouth which I'm guessing it the DME. (The honey adds just the slightest hint of sweetness which is nice though.)

If I did it again I'd brew with 1kg of Dextrose and 0.5kg DME for a bit of mouthfeel without the unpleasantness.

Can of Coopers Stout plus kit yeast
Can of Coopers Light LME
200g of Chocolate malt + 100g of Flaked Barley (steeped)
Primed barrel with 65g brewing sugar
Now 3 weeks in the keg
OMG!

The Festival Razorback IPA I had before this was, I thought, the best kit I had ever made. This is better and it's only three weeks old. It can only improve over the weeks.

Put this on 6 days ago, adding 1kg Dark Spray Malt plus 450g of black treacle. Topped up to 22litres and added yeast at about 23degC. Surprised that the OG was a whopping 1071! on day the SG had come down to 1012, giving a potential ABV of nearly 8%!!

Seems awfully strong for only adding 1.5kg of sugar?

Tastes okay at the moment - a little sweet and tangy, but I will keep another week before bottling. Planning to prime with 1 teaspoon of muscavado sugar. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Paul1

Put this on a couple of weeks back. Brewed short @ 21litres with 1kg of dark DME and 500grms of dark brown sugar. Had little activity in FV for about 48hrs then blew the water out of the airlock 3 times in a couple of hours! The smell was fantastic. Transferring to PB today and hoping it will be drinkable soon if previous reports are owt to go by...

GavH - if looks are anything to go by, your brew looks fantastic! Hope mine turns out as well.....

Paul1 - depends on taste. 1 teaspoon per bottle might be quite a lot. I normally add half tsp per bottle for ales and always get a good level of carbonation. Some people prefer even less for stouts in the pursuit of that guiness like smoothness. Also, somebody else might like to comment on this but I've never seen the point in priming with different fermentables. Given the amounts does it add any flavour???

whiter shade of ale said:
Paul1 - depends on taste. 1 teaspoon per bottle might be quite a lot. I normally add half tsp per bottle for ales and always get a good level of carbonation. Some people prefer even less for stouts in the pursuit of that guiness like smoothness. Also, somebody else might like to comment on this but I've never seen the point in priming with different fermentables. Given the amounts does it add any flavour???

To skip the light fandango -

One might suggest that the final word in your excellent signature quotation be replaced by the word "wife".

And BTW, priming is a bit late in the day to do anything other than mess things up.

Hi , has anyone any opinion's as to using dark malt as opposed to light malt with this kit, What difference will it make?

berts said:
Hi , has anyone any opinion's as to using dark malt as opposed to light malt with this kit, What difference will it make?

I did that and it's very nice. I don't have anything to compare it with but it definitely won't ruin it

I don't think this kit needs much more praise, but here are my 2 cents:
- Did this kit very basic, with just 1kg of amber DME, nothing else to 20 litres.
- Left to ferment for 2 weeks (blow-off tube necessary), bottled with 75g dextrose
- Even after 2 weeks in the bottle, it is already a nice drinkable beer. May lack in body for this type of beer, but I actually really enjoy it as it is now.

Bottom line: a really quick brew to replenish the stocks and a great kit to use as a base for adding adjuncts (as documented on here extensively). Will definitely brew again and likely use as a base for experimenting with coffee, cocoa, vanilla, etc.

jphil123 said:
I don't think this kit needs much more praise, but here are my 2 cents:
- Did this kit very basic, with just 1kg of amber DME, nothing else to 20 litres.
- Left to ferment for 2 weeks (blow-off tube necessary), bottled with 75g dextrose
- Even after 2 weeks in the bottle, it is already a nice drinkable beer. May lack in body for this type of beer, but I actually really enjoy it as it is now.

Bottom line: a really quick brew to replenish the stocks and a great kit to use as a base for adding adjuncts (as documented on here extensively). Will definitely brew again and likely use as a base for experimenting with coffee, cocoa, vanilla, etc.

I'm really pleased how this came out, even after not doing up the caps tight enough (they are very low on carbonation, no head at all)

I followed the kit instructions but brewed short to 20L and added a 454g tin of black treacle. It has a coffee/plum/xmas pud taste, slightly sweetish but not too much. This kit was ready to drink about middle of February and about half of the bottles have disappeared! I think someone must have stole some :whistle:

Even the old Trouble & Strife likes it !!!

:cheers:

Does the treacle taste mellow out after a while? Used a tin of it and 1kg extra dark spray malt and coming up to 3 months in the bottle the treacle comes through very strong!

Latest posts

Back