Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sone said:
Does the treacle taste mellow out after a while? Used a tin of it and 1kg extra dark spray malt and coming up to 3 months in the bottle the treacle comes through very strong!

The Treacle taste will mellow in time............it's worth the wait. Mine is now at the 6 month mark since bottling. I used a tin of Treacle and 1kg of dark DME. I have 5 bottles left and plan on seeing howey are after 7-8 months. Enjoy.

I done this as my first brew after 10 years of doing nothing. I brewed it short to 21 litres and added 1/2 can of treacle og was 1046 and after 8 days the fg was 1008. The sampler tasted very good so cant wait for a couple of weeks to try a bottle. :drink:

Good to hear, the treacle is just too overpowering at the moment! Will leave them alone for another few months and report back :thumb:

mattyhall22 said:
It will mellow out as above mine are coming upto six months and are fantastic.:)

I am wondering as a relative newbie how long you can keep this in bottles. I did a Woodfordes Nog as my 2nd brew and was very dissapointed with it, but after 7 months in the bottle it seems to of improved greatly.

I set mine away in the FV today with 500g of extra-dark spraymalt and 1kg of brewing sugar. Had a few issues with the spraymalt clumping before I had a chance to mix it all in, but hopefully it will be ok. Brewed to the full 5 gallons with an OG of 1042.

Instructions say to ferment between 21 - 27C.

27C seems rather high to me! :shock:
Think I am going to stick with 21C, but has anyone tried it at 27?

Maysie said:
I set mine away in the FV today with 500g of extra-dark spraymalt and 1kg of brewing sugar. Had a few issues with the spraymalt clumping before I had a chance to mix it all in, but hopefully it will be ok. Brewed to the full 5 gallons with an OG of 1042.

Instructions say to ferment between 21 - 27C.

27C seems rather high to me! :shock:
Think I am going to stick with 21C, but has anyone tried it at 27?

Yeah spraymalt is always a bit of a PITA. I normally add it to my LME/boiling water mix dead slowly while mixing the hell out of it. Then get the old paint mixer and drill combo on it after that. Nowt survives that!

Got to say, that this is the most sessionable one I've done yet. It has really mellowed in the keg over the last few weeks. Definateky one to do again as a base for some experimentation.

Want to do a chocolate stout, was thinking of brewing a coopers stout as normal then in secondery adding some sort of chocolate flavour or priming bottles with either ground cocoa beans or some other chocolate flavour, any ideas anyone ??? :hmm:

stan said:
Want to do a chocolate stout, was thinking of brewing a coopers stout as normal then in secondery adding some sort of chocolate flavour or priming bottles with either ground cocoa beans or some other chocolate flavour, any ideas anyone ??? :hmm:

I used Tate and Lyle Chocolate Syrup in a Imperial i made from the Coopers kits. If I were to.use it again i would probably add twice as much, or use it in a milder brew.

Set in the FV on 7/3/14 with 1kg Dark DME, 250mg Dextrose and half a can of Tate and Lyle treacle.

Took off well as everyone says, 3 inches kreusen
Mini kegged and bottled 11 days later

OG: 1.046
FG: 1.010

Got impatient, opened a bottle 5 days later. :(

It's been carbonating well, but tastes quite sweet. A bit too sweet I guess. Is that expected or have i messed up?

Hopefully, it should mellow down in a couple of weeks. I might cut down the treacle next time.

Maiacetus said:
Set in the FV on 7/3/14 with 1kg Dark DME, 250mg Dextrose and half a can of Tate and Lyle treacle.

Took off well as everyone says, 3 inches kreusen
Mini kegged and bottled 11 days later

OG: 1.046
FG: 1.010

Got impatient, opened a bottle 5 days later. :(

It's been carbonating well, but tastes quite sweet. A bit too sweet I guess. Is that expected or have i messed up?

Hopefully, it should mellow down in a couple of weeks. I might cut down the treacle next time.

It's possibly sweet because it hasn't carbed up fully yet and eaten up all the priming sugar. It can take a few weeks for that to happen with some beers. I'd leave it longer before trying.

I've read cocoa nibs soaked in vodka and added in secondary. I'm doing this myself if I can get hold of these 'nibs'. I brewed it this morning and stuck a thread on beer brewdays.

This kit has become my routine beer of choice to have in stock at all times. As it brews and conditions really quickly with great result. Usually brewed to 20 litres with 1kg of medium spraymalt and 250g of light brown sugar, although the one I have in the FV at the moment was made up the same except I used a small tin of golden syrup instead of the brown sugar as that was all I had in stock.
This normally comes out at 4.2-4.3% ABV but the one I have in at the moment with the syrup had an OG of 1048, so if I can get that down to 1010 then it will hopefully by 5%.
Got to test it and hopefully keg tomorrow.

Mine has been going for a week now and fown from 1070 to 1018 although I have topped it up from 18 to 20l. Was going to get it into smaller FVs today to gey some other flavours in there but going to wait until it gets down a bit further. Pitched some leftover yeast too as it was lying around. Tasted pretty good and am looking forward to this one especially when it has chocolate, coffee or oak chips mixed in. With a peaty caol ila fir the first two. Hope the flavours work.

brewed this today with a mix of sugar and dem sugar with a touch of vanilla extract with coco smells good lets keep finger crossed - og reading 1046

Hi all,
This was my very first attempt at home brewing and I did it according to the instructions that came with the kit, 1kg Coopers brew enhancer. OG was 1035 on 11/4/14 which reading the forums seems a bit low. It got stuck at 1016 for about a week, I tried stirring and warming it up and it eventually got down to 1012 so I bottled it 3 days ago, it spent 16 days in the Fermentor, instructions said it should have been only 7?

I'll leave it for a couple of weeks in the bottle and hope for the best, I guess something went a little wrong (possibly temp was a bit low initially)

Now trying a Coopers ginger beer OG 1022 so perhaps I'm doing something wrong at the start?

I shall persevere though :D

Latest posts

Back