CORNE KEG REVEIEWS PLEASE

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dye29

Reaction score
HY ALL WHAT ARE THE CORNE KEGS LIKE TO USE CAN I HAVE FULL INFO ON THEM PLEASE

There great. They hold 19.5 lt. Made of stainless steel. They genrally come in 2 types. Quick release and pin posts. Quick release are the most common, but both are easy to use. Just try to get them the same if you get more than 1. You will also need to get the disconnects, a regulator and a CO2 bottle. And a tap. That's about it really. Treated with a bit of care they will last a lifetime, and probably have already as most are secondhand, having had a former life in the pub trade to dispense coca cola and pepsi and other soft drinks.

yeah they are great I use mine for wine now as I can't be bothered to bottle and we drink it at home anyway. best bit of kit I ever bought for home brewing you can force carb your lager if that's your thing as they can hold about 130 psi much more than a pressure barrel and you will save a fortune on co2 as you can buy a big bottle cheap instead of hampton rip off bard cylinders
Go for it there are no cons I can see only that you will drink more because you can't see how much you've had. At least that's my excuse

Low as I can get away with they work really well for white I find that with red after a while you can detect even the slightest carbonation and I don't like it but you can get away with white No problem If that makes sense

I suppose if you found it was a bit carbonated you could fill up a jug and degass with a whisk ? Each time you fancied a bottle I don't bother but if that's your concern it might be a solution

so what exacly do i need and where do i get her from cheers

Not a rip off. Norm is ok. You probably can get cheaper if you look, but all in all it's fine. You will also need a gas bottle and regulator. Norm should be able to help you out with the regulator, but you will need to source a CO2 bottle locally where you live as there are now shipping rules on gas bottles.

hy can i ask why is the corne keg is better than a plastic barrel

There are a lot of things that you can do with a cornie, bright beer to transfer around, carbonate, they can't burst like plastic, plastic is good don't get me wrong but i don' t have to worry about co2 or glugging.

more expensive? yes, essential? definately not, would i go back to plastic barrels? no way

dye29 said:
hy can i ask why is the corne keg is better than a plastic barrel
with a cornie keg you can set it to a constant pressure or psi to suit each individual beer style. you can also 'force carbonate where you chill the beer down cold , connect it to gas and shake it to carbonate quicker and you can also drink it quicker.

think i might get one and try im using s30 co2 bottles and ive seen these to fit are they any good also where do you guys get info on how to set psi ect it sounds complicated , i just want to make lager and creamy stout lol

dye29 said:
As said already that is not a rip off . . . especially when you consider the tap sells for over 30 quid on its own ;) And then you'll find the disconnects sell for around 15-20 quid a pair

I suppose to me, 45 quid for a corny keg is a little expensive, but then I bought mine back in the 90's when you could get them for around 8 quid if you knew where to look. Sadly no more. Norms kegs are cleaned and tested and polished to a high standard. Mine are dented covered in stickers, often full of syrup (sometimes hardened in the posts). Given the time and expense in getting them right, 45 quid is a fair price.

There is a collective purchase aiming to go on here in collaboration with JBK buying around 600 Kegs from abroad and distributing them around the members that want them. The suppliers unfortunately are having difficulty getting the 600 together without affecting their supply to their usual customers.

Back