Corny Pressure Gauge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belter

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm trying to build a Corny pressure gauge. All of the regs on ebay seem to have 1/8BSPT threads. Doesn't say whether male or female but I Think the one I want is female as it says "1/8" BSP taper thread rear entry. You don't usually enter a Male... usually."

So my problem is. I need to get from 7/16 UNF female (Quick Disconnect) to 1/8SPT Male (possibly female). The other alternative is Quick Disconnect John Guest fitting... 3/8 gas line. 3/8 John guest fitting to Male 1/4BSPT. I can't find 3/8 x 1/4BSPT adapters anywhere but one place on ebay where the guy sells packs of 10. I only need one, possibly 2.

I can't find any 7/16UNF to 1/8 adapters except for 1/8BSPP which wont fit from a diving equipment website.

Has anyone built one before on here?

Next question is then...

They only supply those barbs in ID measurements. My 3/8 beer line measures 7mm ID. They only have 6 or 8. 6mm loose or 8mm snug?

Change of plan.

I think I'm talking to myself.

but...
Does anyone know the thread size for the Corny gas relief valve. Was thinking about threading a pressure gauge directly to it.

hi mate i made one i used a pressure gauge from an old foot pump a piece of syphon tube with a hose clip,connected to a gas in quick connect with another hose clip.

i made one

u got a gauge off ebay with a 1/4" bsp M thread,

i got a 3/8" jg to male 1/4" bsp thread.

and a 1/4" F/F barrel socket to join the 2

and a lot of ptfe tape on the threads..

then its just a case of joining up the jg fitting to a gas line connected to a disconnect.

Fil said:
i made one

u got a gauge off ebay with a 1/4" bsp M thread,

i got a 3/8" jg to male 1/4" bsp thread.

and a 1/4" F/F barrel socket to join the 2

and a lot of ptfe tape on the threads..

then its just a case of joining up the jg fitting to a gas line connected to a disconnect.

That's exactly what I came up with in the end. The only reason I don't make the order was that I'm undecided whether to use a Y splitter and have constant gas monitoring. Or whether to get a door mounted pressure gauge and have two dials cut into the front of my fridge So I can monitor in real time. Might be a little overkill.

the thing to watch for with kegs not attached to gas especially full ones, is sudden temp drops. even the co2 at 20psi can be absorbed if the temp drops, and you can loose the keg seal.
but if in a temp controlled fridge that shouldn't happen.

if you opt for a Y or T splitter you may want to consider using check valves in line too,

heaven forbid you ever get a nasty in a keg, but if you do and you share gas lines without one way valves you run the risk of contaminating other kegs on the line. venting one keg on a shared line will drop the pressure in all kegs on that line, and empty gas from all kegs thru the keg your venting.

Fil said:
the thing to watch for with kegs not attached to gas especially full ones, is sudden temp drops. even the co2 at 20psi can be absorbed if the temp drops, and you can loose the keg seal.
but if in a temp controlled fridge that shouldn't happen.

if you opt for a Y or T splitter you may want to consider using check valves in line too,

heaven forbid you ever get a nasty in a keg, but if you do and you share gas lines without one way valves you run the risk of contaminating other kegs on the line. venting one keg on a shared line will drop the pressure in all kegs on that line, and empty gas from all kegs thru the keg your venting.

Cheer Fil,

Already taken all of those things into account. I have a three port reg, so no issues sharing lines. The Y splitter was simply so I could keep a quick disconnect attached to the corny and the gas but at the same time have a line coming off to monitor pressure at all times to check for leaks. Not sure if it's entirely necessary.

I have check valves. I have a temperature controlled fridge.

I really want panel mounted pressure gauges that I can cut into the door of my fridge so I can real time monitor the gauges but again... Totally pointless, just makes my kegerator look tech. They cost over double a standaard gauge. So I might just cut losses and attach a gauge to a spare disconnect and use it when I need to.

Nice idea, why not get a back entry gauges like :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/63mm-2-Bar-30 ... 2321c27b13
or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/63mm-20-Bar-2 ... 481wt_1064

and just drill a small hole in the door and mount it there you can use a cable tie on the gas line to it to keep it taught and inplace from the inside. if you dont like it standing proud surround it with something, or even drill holes to sink them into the door. one for each keg would be a nice feature.. could you resist tapping the gauge for the keg your going to pour from??

Theyre a little larger than the 40mm one I went for in the end. I had it all planned out and it would have been a good feature but in the end I decided on a standard plug and play corny disconnect version. One dial. Ended up spending £7 instead of £30. It makes sense. I like your idea of mounting it anyway if the rim is wide enough. If it could be held on place you could expanding foam around it locking it in. But alas I decided against it.

Latest posts

Back