Counterflow chiller quick disconnects - advice needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agentgonzo

Landlord.
Reaction score
My GF Counterflow chiller is getting slightly annoying. It has 4 permanently attached hoses which get in the way a lot when you're trying to move/clean/attach/pack it and it's light fighting with half an octopus a times. I've not done much plumbing work before, and found this handy guide on the internet for replacing the permanently attached hoses with quick disconnects.

however, it left me with quite a few questions.
He's obviously in America, where NPT is probably the standard, but in the UK I assume BSP is the standard. He mentions that he has to get an adapter from the 1/2"BSP thread (that is on the grainfather chiller) to a NPT thread for the quick disconnects... but can you get disconnects that already have a BSP thread on it, meaning we don't need the adapter?
I also then went down a rabbit hole of not knowing much about quick disconnects etc. From a quick google, there are a bunch of screwfix etc that are designed for air tools (I remember using these in CDT at school) - if I pushed water through them (or even wort) would that risk corroding their insides? I also found some brass ones - same question - are they suitable for using with wort?

Has anyone else modified their counterflow chiller with disconnects for the wort/chiller lines? If so, how did you achieve it?
I've looked at hoselock connectors, but they may be a bit big for the space where you can attach them on the chiller.

Camlocks for the wort fittings, hose type disconnects for the water. Angel homebrew, ebay, brewkegtap, and a whole host of other online suppliers will be able to provide these.

If you go with the Cam locks just be sure you get one's that have the R clip to secure them. Not all cam locks are created equal as I found out when ordering from Malt Miller and the cam tends to loosen up and pop off when getting hot.

Angel Homebrew come with the clips.
Capture.JPG

Brewkegtap have holes for clips but no clips provided

Capture2.JPG

Malt Miller and some others do not have any option for clips so I would avoid these

56F3B807-A682-464C-A571-A542B5DF138E-scaled-e1642606876440-300x300.jpg

Camlocks for the wort fittings, hose type disconnects for the water. Angel homebrew, ebay, brewkegtap, and a whole host of other online suppliers will be able to provide these.
Did you get to use as adapters to go find the thread on the CFC to the thread on the hoselock/camlocks?

I have RJT, camlock, JG, CPC and Tri Clamp.

Honestly once you master the ninja upside down 'clamp flip up' on a conical drain you are sorted! I love the TC operation and the fact I can use them like Meccano to build pipe connectors.

Not impressed by the others,,,,

My GF Counterflow chiller is getting slightly annoying. It has 4 permanently attached hoses which get in the way a lot when you're trying to move/clean/attach/pack it and it's light fighting with half an octopus a times. I've not done much plumbing work before, and found this handy guide on the internet for replacing the permanently attached hoses with quick disconnects.

however, it left me with quite a few questions.
He's obviously in America, where NPT is probably the standard, but in the UK I assume BSP is the standard. He mentions that he has to get an adapter from the 1/2"BSP thread (that is on the grainfather chiller) to a NPT thread for the quick disconnects... but can you get disconnects that already have a BSP thread on it, meaning we don't need the adapter?
I also then went down a rabbit hole of not knowing much about quick disconnects etc. From a quick google, there are a bunch of screwfix etc that are designed for air tools (I remember using these in CDT at school) - if I pushed water through them (or even wort) would that risk corroding their insides? I also found some brass ones - same question - are they suitable for using with wort?

Has anyone else modified their counterflow chiller with disconnects for the wort/chiller lines? If so, how did you achieve it?
I've looked at hoselock connectors, but they may be a bit big for the space where you can attach them on the chiller.

Many of the suggestions you have received are not practical for the GF chiller, due to the way the hoses are fixed (the video you included shows the older type of GF chiller - I assume you have the current version, which is differemt). I think you have to know the GF chilller to be able to make a useful suggestion! I found when I had one that the two silicone wort hoses were not a problem, it was the stiff plastic water hoses which were a real pain. You could buy some coloured silicone tubing of the right internal diameter (3/8" if I remember correctly) and use hose connectors to attach that to the existing chiller hoses as near the body of the chiller as possible. Although this would not give you a quick disconnect, it would enable you to wrap all four hoses neatly round the chiller body when not in use.

You could buy some coloured silicone tubing of the right internal diameter (3/8" if I remember correctly) and use hose connectors to attach that to the existing chiller hoses as near the body of the chiller as possible. Although this would not give you a quick disconnect, it would enable you to wrap all four hoses neatly round the chiller body when not in use.
My other thought would be to just cut the existing tubes as close to the chiller as possible, then insert a quick disconnect with a male barb into the remaining short length of tube attached to the chiller. Not as neat, but would work.

My other thought would be to just cut the existing tubes as close to the chiller as possible, then insert a quick disconnect with a male barb into the remaining short length of tube attached to the chiller. Not as neat, but would work.

That's exactly what I had to do on my chiller.

6cAT2Hw.png

I've also contacted Grain father about the fitting/thread used on the new chiller "tee" piece. It's something called 25G thread. I wasn't able to get much more info from their engineering teams through their support email.

I couldn't find much info about this "25G" thread, even when forcing to search in the "Australian side" of google.

The short tubing is working kinda ok, but my "final" plan would be to have some custom fitting 3d printed in stainless that would go "25G to BSPT (or BSPP)"... but I'm not 100% sure that would be sanitary/food safe.

Latest posts

Back