Couple of questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardagutteridge

Reaction score
:cheers: Hi all couple of questions. Been reading through some of the posts and would like to ask;

1 Which is better in AG 60 min. or 90 min. boil?

2 How is temperature maintained with an overnight mash and is it really worth it?

3 Although I do AG brewing I have to do it in the garage, and with my athritis and the weather recently, I couldn't get to do any brewing, so which kit would come close to an AG, so that I could keep one or two in stock for next winter. Price does not matter :D

Regards Richard G :drink:

Hi Richard

With regard to the boil, I always used to do a 90 minute boil but with time being a precious comodity nowadays and the price of propane being what it is I now boil for 60 mins. Some opinions are that a longer boil has benefits such as a better hot break, but to be honest I haven't noticed any great reduction in quality of beer after going to 60 minute boils as long as I maintain a good vigorous boil for the duration.

I'm looking to go to overnight mashes too in an attempt to shorten the brew day. From what others have told me, its just a case of mash in at your chosen strike temperature, then thoroughly insulate your mash tun. Mine's pretty good at holding its temperature over the course of a mash, but will be utilising a winter duvet and some blankets all round the mash tun as well. Will also look at insulating under the tun with polystyrene to reduce heat loss through conduction too.

Will be interested to see kit suggestions as I could do with a couple of quick brews myself to replenish stocks!

Cheers!
Phil

You could try small batches of boil in a bag in your toastie kitchen to keep you going until the Spring sun comes :)

You don't need a huge kettle or a mash tun to do it so most kitchen hobs and stock pots are plenty large enough.

I've not done a kit for a while but did a couple of Brewferm kits in the past, the Triple and Abdij. Both were pretty good. Whether they match an AG is another story.

I do a 60 min boil due to the weather ( cold ).I've not noticed any problems with my brews and its a good saving in electricity. I still get a good hot break and plenty of protein material out into the wort.
To miantain o/night temps make sure your mash tun is thoroughly warmed thro before you start get your strike water temp up and insulate the tun as best as you can. As long as the temps hold around the prescribed temps for 2-3 hours you will be fine.

As for standby kits... I like the St Peters Red Ruby Ale and Wherry with a brewmaster pale ale as well.
Expensive compared to AG but good drinks for kits.

:cheers: Thanks for the quick replies guys. I have in the past made the above kits so it seems that these will be the ones to buy. As far as my notes go, re the said kits, they seemed to be very good, but I made these before I started AG.

CL Your idea is sound but I have 3 friends and 2 sons ( and me ) who love AG so anything below 19 litres is a non starter ( except for trial brews) which I have made in 1 gallon batches previously.

Still undeceided about 60 or 90 min boil but I think I will pass on the overnight mash :drink:

ps could someone explain why my post says the time is 8:04 pm when it is actually 7:04 pm :hmm:

richardagutteridge said:
:cheers: Thanks for the quick replies guys. I have in the past made the above kits so it seems that these will be the ones to buy. As far as my notes go, re the said kits, they seemed to be very good, but I made these before I started AG.

CL Your idea is sound but I have 3 friends and 2 sons ( and me ) who love AG so anything below 19 litres is a non starter ( except for trial brews) which I have made in 1 gallon batches previously.

Still undeceided about 60 or 90 min boil but I think I will pass on the overnight mash :drink:

ps could someone explain why my post says the time is 8:04 pm when it is actually 7:04 pm :hmm:

Fair enough :)

You need to set your timezone correctly via profile > board preferences :)

Latest posts

Back