Couple of silly questions regarding malt...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottM

Landlord.
Reaction score
Stupid question number 1....

When I buy a sack of grain from the malt miller.... is it already crushed and ready to drop in for a mash?

Stupid question number 2.....

Recipe calls for German 2 Row

In my head I'm translating that to pilsner malt. Is this correct? Is there a difference between pilsner malt and lager malt? I was thinking that maybe lager malt meant more UK malt and pilsner malt was more inclined to be German?

Stupid question number last....

Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner Malt
Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt
Weyermann Premier Pilsner Malt

What's the difference?

Cheers :)

All Robs malts come crushed unless you request uncrushed. Not able to help on the lager malts, never used them.

Don't want to scrimp but would like to throw this into the mix too as it seems to be the best value pilsner malt...

DINGEMANS PILSEN MALT 25KG

Described as European 2-row.

Happy to pay the extra for Weyermann if it's going to produce a better product but I don't want to buy a name :)

Only done the one lager so far but I just asked Rob for Pilsen malt and TBH I have no idea what I got, likely the cheapest one, and by heck it's produced a super beer!

(Schiehallion clone, Abey's recipe, well worth doing... Really must bottle it...)

Your right that Lager Malt is just the name for the British version of Pilsener malt. The Continental Pilsener malts should give a more authentic continental taste (different Barley variety and growing climate)

The floor malted one is a very traditional malt for the most authentic traditional Pilsener but will likely give clarity problems unless you do a decoction or step mash with a Protein rest.

Dr Mike said:
Your right that Lager Malt is just the name for the British version of Pilsener malt. The Continental Pilsener malts should give a more authentic continental taste (different Barley variety and growing climate)

The floor malted one is a very traditional malt for the most authentic traditional Pilsener but will likely give clarity problems unless you do a decoction or step mash with a Protein rest.

Fantastic, thanks very much for the info :)

I'll just go with the Dingeman stuff then. :thumb:

pittsy said:
The belgian 2 row is excellent stuff , top of the list in my book .

Sounds ideal. I've read a few good reports with the Dingemans so no qualms with using it, just didn't fancy missing out if there was something special with the others.

Cheers :cheers:

ScottM said:
Stupid question number last....

Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner Malt
Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt
Weyermann Premier Pilsner Malt

What's the difference?
Cheers :)

Bohemian Pilsner is a variety of barley you would use for an authentic Bohemian Pilsner; the floor malted the same but as it is not so fully converted it would be best to do a step mash; the premier is just as good and is for every thing else, that is what I use for my lagers + some Munich I + some Melanoidin.

More details here

also check out the Weyermann website

Dingemans is for authentic Belgian beers

Aiming for Grolsch :)

I've gone for the dingemans this time. I'll definitely give the Weyermann premier a go next time. Be good to compare them :)

I guess you wouldn't taste much difference, if any at all. Continental standard pilsner malts are all the same, they're made so to be 1:1 substitute.

As for Bohemian and Bohemian Floor... Bohemian is made from German bred variety Hanka, grown in Czech Rep then malted in Weyermann's plant in Bamberg, this is as much "Böhmisch" as malt made by DMG Poland from Carlsberg variety grown in Poland is "Danish". Bohemian Floor is Czech made malt (by Litovel? I'm not sure), and Weyermann is only reseller. This is also made of contemporary varieties. Hard barley Czech malts are rare thing and these require decoction boiling to soften and gelatinize starch.

pittsy said:
i thought parts of czech used to be part of bohemia once upon a time , or am i thinking of bavaria ?

:shock: I think wars have been started over less controversial comments ;)

In 1939 Bohemia was pretty much an elclave surrounded by Germany but classed a 'Protectorate' (Bohemia and Monravia).

Bavaria IS Germany, well they like to think so.

Latest posts

Back