Cream ale fermentation stalled

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadlyFeet

Reaction score
Hi all

So this is my 3rd attempt at a cream ale with 3/3 attempts having a stalled fermentation. I was wondering if there is anything special I need to be doing? The yeast I am using is Safale US-05. The og for most of them was 1.055, hoping for a fg of 1.010. This is well within attenuation range of the yeast, possibly slightly over. However, the gravity I am sitting with after 3 weeks fermentation is about 1.024. That is 55% attenuation, well off the expected 80%. I have tried rousing it a bit using heat and a gentle nudge for about a week now with no effect. Is the only thing to do now add more yeast?

Has anyone else experienced this with a cream ale? Will adding yeast nutrient help?

Grain bill was majority pale 2 row, used flaked corn and pilsner malt as speciality malts. Hops were leaf hops, citra and hallertrau. Added lactose at the beginning of the boil and before throwing in the yeast.

Where did you get your recipe from ? Cream ales don't have lactose in as a rule, which would explain the high FG. If you punch the recipe into some brewing software I think you'll find the FG is about right taking the unfermentable lactose into consideration.

Thanks Thorbz.

I have seen a number of recipes that use lactose and a number that don't. Think it's a bit of a debate out there on using lactose in a cream ale

Thanks all. Only binned the first one. I have 2 on the go now. Going to bottle on Sunday.

Latest posts

Back