Crushing CTs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Ne

Reaction score
I use the 2 spoon method of crushing CTs but my latest go was such a trial (arthritis), what do others use to crush them, i was thinking of buying/making one of those graters that the Herbal smokers use or a rolling pin and placky bag, cheers Dave NE

Why not just buy some Sodium Metabisulphate powder ?
Failing that, just disolve them in a little warm water before adding to your brew.

Rolling pin and placcy bag sounds fine, although the CT may go straight through the plastic if it's a thin bag.

Personally, I rarely use CTs, but they are handy if you are using, let's say less than 10 a month.

Any more than that and you will probably find sodium metabisulphite powder more convenient and considerably cheaper in the long run. Dissolve one level 5ml teaspoonful of SodMet in 100ml of warm water and then use 10ml of that solution in place of 1 CT.

Find yourself a little bottle and the stock solution can be kept for quite a while.

I crush mine in a mortar and pestle thingy - I found the two spoon method didn't give good results and sometimes bits of the tab would go flying off.

But, I'm moving to the Sodium Metabisulphate powder as it seems a whole lot less agravating!

Eric_S said:
But, I'm moving to the Sodium Metabisulphate powder as it seems a whole lot less agravating!

Does sodium metasulphate guard against oxidation? and also does it act as a yeast killer or a yeast reproduction Inhibitor or neaither? :)

More Noob questions :)

Potassium sorbate is the yeast reproduction inhibitor, but otherwise yes.

CTs are just a conveniently measured dosage of SodMet.

Pop the CT on a solid surface and tap it with the bottom of a cup, tap not whack, it will break into 3 or so pieces, then place on a spoon and crush with another spoon. Once they are broken up crushing them is a doddle.

hairybiker said:
Personally I use a tablet crusher (I got mine from a pet shop), works fine on the odd ct I use for conditioning my brew water.

Same here, works brilliantly :thumb:

I did a google and there is an e bay seller, selling MS by the bag with a handy spoon which he/she claims to be the same quantity as a single CT, cheers Dave NE

Moley said:
Potassium sorbate is the yeast reproduction inhibitor, but otherwise yes.

CTs are just a conveniently measured dosage of SodMet.

Cheers Moley :)

Latest posts

Back