Crust on top of beer??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PawsOfEvil

Reaction score
I brewed 2 batches of beer, IPA and a whit beer, 2 weeks ago. I took gravities on them this morning OG was 1.062 & 1.034, readings today are down to 1.010 for both. This is the first time I have looked at them properly since brewing, there is no sediment in the bottom of either fermentor but there is a 'crust' on top of both beers. When I opened it the smell is pretty bad, sort of stale beer/mould cross. The sample I drew off using a baster from below the crust tasted and smells nice though, are these beers ruined? I used a fresh yeast from wyeast for one batch and sarfale s-04 for the other. All items were cleaned and sanitised using star san.

Any help would be much appreciated!

What about giving it a gentle stir and seeing if it settles to the bottom? If the beer tastes OK that's the main thing. I certainly would want to get it bottled, not thrown away :drink: You could also think about racking to a seconday to see if that helps, leaving the crust behind.

Will try moving to a secondary in the morning. It just seems strange that there is no sediment in either of the fermentors. Was hoping someone might know what caused it? Have I done something wrong? Has anyone ever had a beer with no sediment in the bottom?

Best I can do.

9bf85c34-d511-48c3-bcb5-f65717a65897_zps51ff503f.jpg

pop an airlock on and when ur sure there is no air in there cap it and shake the hell out of it, if surface tension and the welded to the side bits are keeping it afloat that will sort it and in a few days it should settle out.

tho afaik some yeasts are top floaters and need skimming off or syphoning from below.

Latest posts

Back