De-gassing 1st time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m doing my 1st wine kit a Beaverdale. I’m almost fermented out and going to transfer to a secondary FV. I’ll be going on to the degassing stage. Now is it like beer brewing where you don’t want oxygen introduced into ur
wort ? Do I stir gently or vigorously ? It states I need to do it 3 times in a day,,what’s the best working practice.
Many thx

If you have a cordless drill buy or make a degassing wand.

When my home made one broke (see thread below) i got one similar to this its stainless steel and does a good job, the method is run it forward for 5 second switch to reverse for 5 seconds and repeat for a minute, that the job done.

If your drill is very powerful/fast run it until a vortex appears then quickly switch to the other direction, dont do it in one direction only.

1686313289539.png

How to make a degassing wand - How to degas wine with a home made degassing wand

Last edited:
If you have a cordless drill buy or make a degassing wand.

When my home made one broke (see thread below) i got one similar to this its stainless steel and does a good job, the method is run it forward for 5 second switch to reverse for 5 seconds and repeat for a minute, that the job done.

If your drill is very powerful/fast run it until a vortex appears then quickly switch to the other direction, dont do it in one direction only.

View attachment 86570

How to make a degassing wand - How to degas wine with a home made degassing wand

Thx…. I can knock one of them up.. so I guess introducing oxygen isn’t a problem.

Presumably as part of racking into the secondary the kit included some sodium metabisulfite to add. In the kits this usually comes in a sachet marked stabiliser and will be a combination of potassium sorbate and the sulfite, it serves two purposes, this:

Campden tablets are also used as an anti-oxidizing agent when transferring wine between containers. The sodium metabisulfite in the Campden tablets will trap oxygen that enters the wine, preventing it from doing any harm.

And killing off the yeast so fermentation won't restart after you've bottled.

So the addition of sodium metabisulfite protects the wine from oxidisation when de-gassing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campden_tablet

Latest posts

Back