Dead Pony Club

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puravida

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just popped open my first (well deserved) bottle of Brewdog dead pony club. My my that's a tasty drop!
Super hoppy just the way I like but with less of the grapefruit tang you get with their punk ipa. Also actually seems to have more intense bitterness too. Without the bottle in front of me I'd have sworn it was up in the 6-7% range but actually an easy sipping 3.8%

My last brew was planned in a similar way. Quite like a session beer that you can quaff all night without a sore head the next day.

Chucked this in here as it's more a review of what sounds like a good beer to go and try :thumb:

thought I'd visited the wrong forum....Dead Pony Club !

:D

Tried this last weekend and my brother and I thought the same thing. It was on offer in Sainsbury. Never tried a brewdog before that.

yeah its bloody delicious, how you can get so much hop flavour in a beer is unreal, they must run it through a mega hop rocket, then dry hop the life out the beer! its up there with the jaipur ipa in my top 5 beers.

mmm me too :) Let's try and get close to a clone of Dead Pony Club.
Here's the spec from the Brewdog site...

ABV:3.8%
Malts:Spring Blend, Cara and Crystal Malts
Hops: Simcoe, Citra and HBC
Twist:3.8% but hoppy as hell

HBC is a new one for me but I did find this on google:
HBC 342 Hop Pellets (alpha: 11.4%) These highly acidic hops have pleasant citrus and watermelon aromas and flavors.

So my gut feel is this HBC is used as bittering with a mixture of simcoe and citra for aroma but I don;t have access to it so I'm going to just suggest citra and simcoe.

Here's a suggestion coming out at 3.8%

Recipe: Dead Donkey Club
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.71 l
Post Boil Volume: 7.87 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 18.93 l
Bottling Volume: 17.98 l
Estimated OG: 1.035 SG
Estimated Color: 12.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 55.9 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 83.3 %
0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 8.3 %
0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 3 8.3 %
20.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 24.8 IBUs
10.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 11.4 IBUs
20.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 13.5 IBUs
10.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 6.2 IBUs
20.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 60.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
10.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Aroma Steep 60.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 10 -

I just had a pint on Friday as my local Brewdog bar was out of Punk on tap, and only had cans. I must say it is one of the most desireable things to happen in my mouth! I too couldn't comprehend the low ABV, as it tasted right up there with the 6-7% IPAs that the OP was talking about.

It is one I will certainly be going back to, though I ahven't yet seen it on a shelf despite it's 'Core range' status.

Beauty!

Brewdog will be the ruination of me.

I work about 10 mins walk from the new Bristol Brewdog bar, and up until now have shied away from overly hoppy beers because of the grapefruit tang, which I find gets very tiring very quickly - normally before the end of the glass.

But BD seem to brew things with less bittering and lots more aroma hops - and my tastebuds like this. I've had their imperial red (12% no less), Dead Pony, 5AM Saint and Libertine, and all are very tasty.

The trouble is, I'm now finding myself wanting to go for a wander at lunchtime and "pop in" for some hoppy goodness... and that's gonna be an expensive hobby with their bar prices!!

I'd love to work out a recipe for 5AM saint though.

Puravida - that recipe for DPC looks good, but don't they "dry-hop the sh*t out of it" (their words...) as well?

I have a local Brewdog bar near me. In Camden Town London. Will make a point of visiting it. Just found out about it the other day.

Just seen we have a brewdog in Bristol, so the wife and I are going to try it out over the next couple of weeks. I've never tried their beers, so should be a very enjoyable experience :cheers: .

I tried a drop of this over the weekend too. Absolutely corking beer; a refreshing alternative to Punk IPA, and at half the voltage. Puravida, I think I'm going to brew your clone recipe. IBU:OG ratio is bonkers! Just need to get hold of some Citra from somewhere... :hmm:

DamageCase said:
I'm very much looking forward to the Brew Dog Bar opening in Leeds. I always get frustrated with how small their bottles are. I want a pint!

Didn't realise they were opening one in Leeds!!! :D

Hate brewdog but loved this beer. Gone up in my estimation, just wish they could hold back on the headline grabbing ****.

Tony said:
Hate brewdog but loved this beer. Gone up in my estimation, just wish they could hold back on the headline grabbing ****.

I know what you mean but it has worked to get craft beer back out there and get people drinking stuff with some taste to it.

Just back from the new Brewdog in Brum and had a couple of pints of DPC, a very nice beer, served a bit too cold and at £4.05 not exactly a session beer, it also made me burp a lot, although they may be me ;)

Wanted to try the 5am Saint, but they were out of it :( I'll just have to wait until the next time :lol:

Back