Decoction Mashing with a makeshift setup / mash temperature control

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegrantickle

Regular.
Reaction score
Yo guys,

So...

My setup is basic AF with a converted 50L cool box as a mash tun, and a 33L steel pot on a stove converted with a ball valve. I then ferment in plastic buckets and keg/bottle depending what I fancy/the style. As basic as it is, I get some pretty great results.

I'm about to do some mad stuff with heritage malts at high gravity, and so want to do a triple decoction mash.

The one problem I have with the setup is inconsistent mash-in temps. I think this is due to some heat loss when transferring from the HLT to the mash tun, as well as heat lost when doughing in.

I'd like to get more accurate dough in temps to better control sugar extraction/conversion. It's also even more important now that I want to do a multiple decoction mash.

Has anyone got any good calculators they use to add in all the factors for temp change? Another question is has anyone tried using an immersion chiller in reverse (i.e. running hot water through it) to raise the temperature of the mash rather than topping up with boiling water?

Any thoughts appreciated.

I would think that heat loss characteristics are equipment specific, no two set-ups being the same.
I have a similar set-up to you and find the best way to achieve consistent mash temperature control is by using a HERMS. By having a consistent equipment set-up and noting temperature settings and achieved temperatures you can refine your settings to achieve better accuracy.

I would think that heat loss characteristics are equipment specific, no two set-ups being the same.
I have a similar set-up to you and find the best way to achieve consistent mash temperature control is by using a HERMS. By having a consistent equipment set-up and noting temperature settings and achieved temperatures you can refine your settings to achieve better accuracy.

Hey bud,

Awesome. Thanks for the info. What HERMS system do you use? What is the most cost effective way to set one up?

Cheers again
G

I found beersmith 2 to be very accurate for temperature. I always do a step mash and have a similar set up to you, with a 45l igloo cool box and 33l boiler. It adjusts temperatures based on if you heat the tun, what the temp of the grains are etc. I always heat the MT with some hot water before using it too.

I also tried the brew cypher spreadsheet, that works fine too and is free.

I found beersmith 2 to be very accurate for temperature. I always do a step mash and have a similar set up to you, with a 45l igloo cool box and 33l boiler. It adjusts temperatures based on if you heat the tun, what the temp of the grains are etc. I always heat the MT with some hot water before using it too.

I also tried the brew cypher spreadsheet, that works fine too and is free.

Quality. I will have a look at brew cypher as I've not come across that before! I'm heating the tun up with hot water beforehand and and have also filled the lid cavity with expanding foam (which worked a treat). I have less thant 1 degree of temperature loss over an 1h infusion mash (pretty good I reckon). I will also look at and consider beersmith 2, as I'm using brewers friend mainly - can't see any functionality there so far...

Latest posts

Back