DHL

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered a case of German beers from Beers of Europe for my daughter's partner's birthday. I had an email from DHL saying it would be delivered between 1335 and 1435 on Monday. Although the recipient works from home a lot, he had to be in London on Monday but said not to worry as delivery companies always leave things in their porch. The parcel was delivered at 1115 and left, not in the porch, but outside the house, in full view of the street. DHL's email said that it had "been accepted at the delivery address by Simon" - quite an achievement as Simon was at his desk 35 miles away at the time. This is just the latest example of the way this company treats its customers, and I have decided that I will no longer buy from any supplier who uses DHL for delivery. Such blatant dishonesty is completely unacceptable.

All my stuff from Braumarkt, Netherlands is shipped via DHL. On arrival in France it's handed over to their "delivery partner" Colisprivé, from which point it takes around 10 days to arrive. This is the same Colisprivé that manages unfailingly to delivery Amazon orders the next day. Clearly DHL have the cheapest possible arrangement with their delivery partner, they're already the most expensive and they like to take the most profit, too.

I watched a delivery of mine being dumped next door, I asked the driver if it was for me and had he got the right house..I even had the confirmation email just after he scanned it saying I had signed for it! It was mine,I never signed for it,he even took a picture of next doors,door...next time that happens I will claim for non delivery.

I have a Mash Gang NA monthly sub box and they use DHL.
They (or the warehouse it leaves) stipulate that if there is no one at home to sign for it, it can't be delivered. I missed a delivery, couldn't re arrange it on their app, couldn't to anything really, apart from hope I wasn't on the school run the next day when they attempted it again.

Luckily we were home when they arrived on the re- scheduled... with a parcel for my wife. I had to ask the driver to check the van, which he did, and found my box in a "redelivery" box which they go to once they have done all of their other deliveries 🤦‍♂️

Saved him coming back here a few hours later. Such a backwards system they use.

This is just the latest example of the way this company treats its customers,

Its not just them, our street only has front gardens on one side i have seen white van man knock once wait 10 seconds for the householder to answer before placing the parcel on the step (house with no garden) take a picture to prove he delivered it and jump in his van and roar off, anyone passing could simply pick it up and walk off with it, as all the neighbours get on we often take the parcels in to stop them being stolen but its not good enough they should not leave the parcel in plain view of passers by.

Do these companies allow drivers to dump parcels on a step if no one answers as long as they have a picture as proof?

Has anyone had any problems with items being stolen how do you get your money back?

TBH i have no problem with parcel force they always leave parcels with neighbours and put a card through the door.

It definitely seems to be a postcode lottery as to if each service is reliable. We get the same evri driver every time and he is fantastic, my wife and daughter order that many parcels that I am now on first name terms with him 😂 I would never knowingly order anything of value to be delivered by DHL though, a couple of years ago I ordered a case of wine to be delivered by them and they failed to deliver it 3 times! I even had a delivery notice from about half a mile away, I am fairly certain that they were being nicked 😡

I'm quite lucky as have had good experiences with all of the main couriers since moving. The only quirk is that last two deliveries from DHL I've not received any notification email or text, but was at home anyway.

We get the same evri driver every time and he is fantastic, my wife and daughter order that many parcels that I am now on first name terms with him

Evri drivers have a bad reputation but on our local Facebook seek & sell page the evri driver gets a lot of good feedback, as you say its a bit of a postcode lottery.

It definitely seems to be a postcode lottery as to if each service is reliable. We get the same evri driver every time and he is fantastic, my wife and daughter order that many parcels that I am now on first name terms with him 😂 I would never knowingly order anything of value to be delivered by DHL though, a couple of years ago I ordered a case of wine to be delivered by them and they failed to deliver it 3 times! I even had a delivery notice from about half a mile away, I am fairly certain that they were being nicked 😡
In the SA4 3GE postcode area I find.

UPS - awful - estimated delivery times that are in the morning never happen and frequently get revised later. So I could have gone out instead of waiting.
My ebike was shipped by them when on holiday and to rearrange a re-delivery you have to put the number on the card posted through your letterbox into a re-delivery page that requires you to set up an account. - not so easy when you are having a weekend away. The cardboard box my new mobile phone was posted in had stanley knife slash marks on it AFTER the delivery label was place on :mad: fortunatly they didn't through to the phone's box.

DPD - really good I have the app on my phone you get a 2 hour window usually and a reminder of when you're next drop.

DHL - can't recall them being good or bad

EVRI - estimated delivery dates always being changed, but goods all arrive without being bashed.

ROYAL MAIL - Usually good apart from when they try to stuff something through the letterbox that isn't going to fit.

I fully agree with those who have said that a postcode lottery affects the quality of delivery companies, but the fact is that DHL is lousy here in Gloucestershire and in Kent which was the subject of my OP.

Instead of the 1 hour times slots they're supposed to give, DHL gave me a 12 hour delivery slot on Wednesday and a 10 hour one today. Not ideal and think DPD are worth the extra from now on.

Last edited:
I sat in most of yesterday waiting for one off Evri then they messaged at 5.30 saying can't deliver because of bad weather!
Delivery is supposed to be today...weather is worse! (It's raining)...

Latest posts

Back