Digi hydrometer and temp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Raven Brewery

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope to keep this simple.
I have a rapt pill and am pressure fermenting.
My fermentation finished at 1.011 and I proceeded to cold crash.

Could the big change in temp have any bearing on what the pill is telling me as it is giving readings now of 1.008.

I suppose there is a chance that as the temp dropped and before the yeast went to sleep they gave me a little more action but it's my first time using the pill so I'm unsure.

Thanks.

Shouldn't. Not in my experience at least with my iSpindel. I suspect you've not been patient enough. I usually wait a good 3 - 5 days of steady flat readings to confirm fermentation has completed. Its not unusual to have 48 hrs or so of flat reading then a bit of a last second surge of a point or two of gravity points.

But the big disadvantage of floating hydrometers is that it is possible for them to be affected by sticky krauzen that clings to them or caught up on the side of the fermentor or in a cooling coil or tied up with a floating dip tube that can obviously impact readings, though the smooth sided design of the RAPT pill looks to be as good as you can get to reduce the chances of this.

Latest posts

Back