Disastrous Brew Day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew83uk

Reaction score
At the weekend I had a full day planned to complete a brew from the brewdog book (SunMaid stout). I had done all the prep, run the recipe through brewers friend as the grain bill seemed massive, adjusted to get to the correct FG and ABV, ordered and collected ingredients, I was ready to roll!
I got up in the morning and started to clean and sterilize everything I needed while my water was getting up to temp for the mash.
• At this point my 5 year old got up and wanted to help
• SWMBO informed me she felt ill, so I was on baby duty too.
• My brother turned up and decided he would stick around and see how it’s done.
• As did the father in law.
Almost instantly my calm relaxing routine/method for brew days was out the window. I forgot to record times, temps and weights etc in my note book.
I had to adjust the mash temp as my brother and daughter wanted to constantly stir while I fed the baby and the temp dropped to around 58c. The kitchen had to also be used to prepare food halfway through, can you believe that, food prep in my brew kitchen!!
Well after a very stressful few hours I had some nice smelling wort cooling in the bath and I decided to just get out of the house and took the kids out for a few hours.
When I got back I added the trusty US-05 and left the FV in the cupboard. I was getting worried as my airlock wasn’t bubbling after a 2 days, so I wrapped the FV up in a couple of old pillows and a towel (temp was around 17c). The next day still no bubbling, but that old familiar smell and traces of a krausen are making me hope that the lid is not completely airtight(therefore not making the airlock bubble).
I will give it a week then maybe risk opening up the FV to take a look. I am worried that this might turn out to be either an awful undrinkable waste or absolutely outstanding with no way of reproducing it as I didn’t make any notes along the way. Anyhow I will keep this updated as it progresses through FV to MV then after bottling.

It would be good to hear if anyone else has had similar brew days and what the outcome was!!

Yeah similar things happened to me on Saturday on my last all grain brew day....

All going to plan. Then just as I'm about to start the Mrs announces she's going to Zumba , leaving me with our 9 month old little dude...she said she would only be an hour...which turned into 2 and a half hours.... Luckily I managed to juggle between baby and brewing. Then she comes home and wants to make lunch and needs to use the stove as I'm about to start my boil...then my mum phones me wanting to pop round for a cuppa.... Luckily in the end the brew went ok, the Mrs got her lunch and mum ended up rescheduling said cuppa to the Sunday. The good thing about the whole thing is it's got me thinking about how I can brew more efficiently without making so much mess and so many pots/sieves/jugs and various other hits and bobs... As they say every cloud has a silver lining.

I'm sure it will be ok mate, will be the lid not being airtight specially if you see krausen :) My first rule is brew when the house is empty, I finished nights at 7am and Started brewing at 08:30 when the misses and kids left the house! Just the last few minutes of the boil...No sleep All in the name of brewing :)

Cheers
Jay

Well I transferred to MV yesterday and the gravity was 1006 so I guess it all fermented well. I added rum soaked raisins, some vanilla extracted a load of Hallertau hops I had left over. Fingers crossed that in a few weeks time I have a nice rum and raisin stout!!

Shouldn't repeat myself but i managed to kick over 20 liters of hot wort over the garage floor recently. Had an big problem with mice ever since. More disastrous than pouring it down the drain. Really need to steam the floor. Rum and Raisin Stout sounds awesome, let us know how it comes out!

My first rule is brew when the house is empty,

Couldn't agree more!! Happy days.

Ive brewed some of my best beers, lets say socially confused. Dont worry about recording (youll never use them again, unless its THE top brew).
Know you kit and timings

I'm sure it will be ok mate, will be the lid not being airtight specially if you see krausen :) My first rule is brew when the house is empty, I finished nights at 7am and Started brewing at 08:30 when the misses and kids left the house! Just the last few minutes of the boil...No sleep All in the name of brewing :)

Cheers
Jay

I brew outside then lock the door and hide the keys....
Fortunately my wife is away a lot and I don't work sat, sun or mondays....
got a big collection of scented candles tho.

Fortunately my wife is away a lot and I don't work sat, sun or mondays....

got a big collection of scented candles tho.

The chance of any empty house would be amazing. It's good to see I'm not the only one who has the occasional mare of a brew day!!

Latest posts

Back