DIY 'HEPA' filter for air pump

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brace yourselves for another @TETB invention...
Amaze your family and friends....!!
Save a few quid.... (possibly)

I use a cheapo aquarium air pump to aerate my wort sometimes; and last night I was reading a post by Martin Brungard about how he uses an air pump to keep the air-space above his stirred starter refreshed with fresh oxygen.
That sounds sensible, I thought, but if I'm going to be pumping air into my starter I want to make sure it's free from airborne bacteria and spores.

Step 1: get a small, cheap plastic box - I had some of these kicking around, but any small plastic clip-top box with a reasonably airtight lid would do

Screenshot 2021-05-14 at 15.20.38.png

Step 2: Drill holes in the ends, marginally smaller than your air tubing (in my case, 5.5mm drill)

Step 3: stuff the air tube through then force some slightly larger tube into the inside end to stop it pulling back out. I used bits of 5/16" beer line:
IMG_5654.JPG

Step 4: Seal up the joins with hot glue:
IMG_5656.JPG

Step 5: stuff the inside with wadded-up cotton wool pads or face masks (I'm guessing you have a pack or two of those around). Make sure it's nice and full with no air-gaps.
IMG_5655.JPG

Step 6: screw the lid on and check the airflow (incidentally, I won't normally have the end of the tube actually in the starter)
IMG_5657.JPG

Ehh Vwallah :-)

Brace yourselves for another @TETB invention...
Amaze your family and friends....!!
Save a few quid.... (possibly)

I use a cheapo aquarium air pump to aerate my wort sometimes; and last night I was reading a post by Martin Brungard about how he uses an air pump to keep the air-space above his stirred starter refreshed with fresh oxygen.
That sounds sensible, I thought, but if I'm going to be pumping air into my starter I want to make sure it's free from airborne bacteria and spores.

Step 1: get a small, cheap plastic box - I had some of these kicking around, but any small plastic clip-top box with a reasonably airtight lid would do

View attachment 47122

Step 2: Drill holes in the ends, marginally smaller than your air tubing (in my case, 5.5mm drill)

Step 3: stuff the air tube through then force some slightly larger tube into the inside end to stop it pulling back out. I used bits of 5/16" beer line:
View attachment 47124

Step 4: Seal up the joins with hot glue:
View attachment 47125

Step 5: stuff the inside with wadded-up cotton wool pads or face masks (I'm guessing you have a pack or two of those around). Make sure it's nice and full with no air-gaps.
View attachment 47126.

Step 6: screw the lid on and check the airflow (incidentally, I won't normally have the end of the tube actually in the starter)
View attachment 47127

Ehh Vwallah :-)

I think you should carry out a sniff test with something awful like fosters...

Latest posts

Back