dls use

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulfg

Reaction score
I posted this on another site but to no replies yet

I have had my water tested by murphys and they recommend additions of crs and dls(well there equivalent salts which I believe are the same only different packaging)
I has previously been treating my water after salfert testing with the amount of crs as recommended by murphys BUT I had been treating all my brewing liquor with dls
murphy say treat for amount of beer being produced

ie I need about 40 litres of liquor to produce 25 litres beer allowing for evaporation,loss to hops/trub etc
so I was using 40 x 0.7 grams dls NOT 25 x 0.7 gr
that is nearly 50% to much ,what are the likely results of over doing te dls please
regards Paul

Using too much DLS is not the end of the world. However I was advised by the more experienced on here that after treating all liquor with campden and CRS, only add any other adjustments based on your pre boil volume and add 2/3 to the mash and 1/3 to the copper.

My water is usually has an alkalinity of 125 and I treat with CRS and campden, and then just use gypsum or calcium chloride or both according to the style.

Have you tried using the water treatment calculator on here?

My advice for your additions is use camden tablets at the rate of 1 tablet to 50 litres of water for removal of chlorine. Then lower the alkalinity to 25ppm with CRS ( check after dosing ) . Mash with 12 litres of water with 13 grms of DLS mixed in with the grains, and no other mineral additions at all. ( no boil additions ). This would be for a pale ale or bitter

thanks guys
I had been finding a sort of bitterness(astringency?) in my lighter beers and after murphys analysis the recomendations for crs was exactly what I had been using but as explained above I had been dosing dls to the full 40 litres liquor pre boil volume not beer length
so next time I will try using the calculator on this site as I now have the figures to input
that is all except a figure for sodium (one was not shown on the report)
I am waitng for a reply from murphys as to whether this is because there wasnt any in the sample or they dont test for it
the calculator here and on jims both have boxes to input a figure for sodium
I dont know what effect no entry in the calculator would have if infact my water does have it present in it

I have found that raising calcium to 200ppm using DLS Brupacks guide causes astringent tastes in my beer. If I use the DLS chart I raise my calcium to between 120ppm to 150ppm and the beer really softens and benefits from this change . Try it

thanks fisherman perhaps this is the problem as I was raising calcium for the full boil volume I plan to brew next week so will either use the calculator and add individual salts or dose dls as you suggest

Latest posts

Back