Do i have a fermentation issue?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyStar

Reaction score
hellow! i'm brewing a woodforde's sundew ale, since i pitched the yeast everything went out fine, and the fermentator was merely bubbling, but after 48-50hours of activity the fermentation looks like to be stopped...it's bubbling but very slowly, like every 1minute... i checked my fermentator and it's fine, also when i push the cap it's releasing co2 from the bubbler, but it's still extremely low at the 3rd day of fermentation, (the temperatures are also fine,stable18- 20° C)

Do i have to worry?

Don't take airlock activity as indication of fermentation as most FV's are not airtight, if you don't have a hydrometer its worth getting one as they take the guess work out.

Hi!
+1 for Chippy_Tea.
I am lucky enough to have a brew fridge that will take two FVs. On my last brew, one airlock bubbled away like mad, while the other made no bubbles at all. Both brews had strong krausen and fermented well, so obviously my second FV does not have a tight fitting lid. I'm going to try a Young's wide neck fermenter next time I brew.

Fermenter.jpg

Most fermentation takes place in the first few days then it slows down a lot. That's very typical. As everyone says, a hydrometer will give you a reading on where it's at but I'd actually suggest leaving it alone for another week before bothering with a reading as it will take that long to fully ferment out and you want to give the yeast time to do its clean up job. Opening the fv introduces a small risk of infection so you don't want to be doing it every other day.

That said woodfordes yeast has a habit of getting stuck at around 1020 (hydrometer gravity reading) so you might want to keep an eye on it for that reason.

Yup +1 to the above

Most of the simple to ferment and consume sugars are taken first then teh yeast moves on to the more complicated and harder to break down fermentables..

If its bubbling its probably still working but airlocks can lie.. take a hydrometer reading to be sure

As I've posted on other topics I have a very air leaky FV. My airlock never bubbles and sometimes I don't even get krausen. Brews still turn out fine though. "Jobs a good un"

Grab a hydrometer from Wilkos only a few quid :thumb: I didnt have one when i started brewing but soon got one. I reckon your Sundew will be ok :)

Cheers
Jay

Latest posts

Back