Does anyone brew in this heat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martybhoy

Reaction score
I have a brew planned for Sunday, but the current hot weather (27°c for Sunday), is putting me off. I imagine it would be unbearable.

Do other folk still brew in this weather?

I have a brew planned for Sunday, but the current hot weather (27°c for Sunday), is putting me off. I imagine it would be unbearable.

Do other folk still brew in this weather?
Absolutely. Early Sunday morning, brewing in the dining room with the french doors open is glorious.
Boil just at the egde of the doors with the peco on a chair so the steam goes out.
Usually have the boil done before anyone else gets up.
Happy days.

If heat was an issue, there wouldn't be much beer brewed in Australia.
There is a big home brew scene out there!

Yep, but chilling wort is a PITA at this time of year though. I try to start early so after I've given up with the immersion chiller, the wort can have a few hours in the fridge to get down the last few degrees before pitching the yeast in the evening.

I was going to brew today but after weighing up the situation I'm not going to bother. Poring over a hot kettle, struggling to hit pitching temp, having the brew fridge already in use etc. Nah, I've got plenty in reserve and a blast to the coast on me mobike is vastly more appealing.

[QUOT
E="dan125, post: 763035, member: 5926"]Yep, but chilling wort is a PITA at this time of year though. I try to start early so after I've given up with the immersion chiller, the wort can have a few hours in the fridge to get down the last few degrees before pitching the yeast in the evening.[/QUOTE]

Thats just what i was thinking. On saturday once the IC has got it down to about 30, i may just rack into FV and let the brew fridge do the rest. Then pitch a Couple of hours later. Is there any drawbacks to this method?

The alternative was liquor back with about 4 litres of super chilled frozen bottled water- not sure if there would be sanitation issues here though?

[QUOT
E="dan125, post: 763035, member: 5926"]Yep, but chilling wort is a PITA at this time of year though. I try to start early so after I've given up with the immersion chiller, the wort can have a few hours in the fridge to get down the last few degrees before pitching the yeast in the evening.

Thats just what i was thinking. On saturday once the IC has got it down to about 30, i may just rack into FV and let the brew fridge do the rest. Then pitch a Couple of hours later. Is there any drawbacks to this method?

The alternative was liquor back with about 4 litres of super chilled frozen bottled water- not sure if there would be sanitation issues here though?[/QUOTE]
There shouldn't be any sanitation issues as long as you stick to your normal sanitation process.

I plan on doing the same as you. I use bottled spring water, almost frozen. Hopefully it'll be cold enough to do the job.

i use tesco ashbec, but i thought you still had to boil it first ( as less treated than tap water) ? if not then that is what i will do then

I have just kegged a beer brewed last Friday. Fine if you have some form of FV chilling. I use a cool box and pump chilled water through a coil in the FV controlled via an Inkbird, so no problem.
Although we have loads of white tree stuff floating around at the moment so have to be careful that doesn't get into the beer.

[QUOT
E="dan125, post: 763035, member: 5926"]Yep, but chilling wort is a PITA at this time of year though. I try to start early so after I've given up with the immersion chiller, the wort can have a few hours in the fridge to get down the last few degrees before pitching the yeast in the evening.

The alternative was liquor back with about 4 litres of super chilled frozen bottled water- not sure if there would be sanitation issues here though?[/QUOTE]
I left my last brew for 24hrs before pitching yeast, turned out fine.

Not for me. I'm done with brewing until septembeer.
Too much trouble cooling or keeping a correct fermentation temperature.
Only botteling an (hopefully) imperial Rye stout tonight.:beer1:

I get around this by no-chilling and (after the next two brews as I have the yeast ready to go/in a starter) will be using kviek yeast that forumite @danbriant sent me

The alternative was liquor back with about 4 litres of super chilled frozen bottled water- not sure if there would be sanitation issues here though?

I don't see any harm leaving it for a few hours before pitching. I wouldn't like to leave it too long though.
I'm sure the bottled water approach would work fine as well

Back