Dry hopping and syphoning into a bottling bucket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strongarm

Brewing on a wing and a prayer
Reaction score
For my first two brews I did a one bucket approach, brewing in my Coopers FV then dry hopping inside a nylon bag then bottling from it using bottling wand and the carbonation drops that came with the kit in the bottles.

For my current brew I want to batch prime so I've bought a second FV from Wilkos (so no tap) and a syphon. When the time comes to bottle I'll syphon into the Coppers FV, onto the sugar solution, and then bottle using the tap and wand.

For my first brews I've noticed that my dry hops are still floating after the 7 days. As such I'm wondering if I should just dry hop (leaf hops, not pellets) straight into the Wilkos FV without a nylon bag, then come bottling time the hops will still be floating so I can just push syphon through them then and syphon the beer into bottling bucket.

Would this work? Do others do something similar? Or am I better off sticking with the hops in a bag approach?

Not all of them will remain as floaters therefore will need some sort of rigid filter on the end of your syphon tube. I use my bazooka hop filter from my boiler on the end of my syphon tube.

I use the little hop sock that came with a festival kit when I transfer to my bottling bucket, virtually no trub or dry hop gets through that and the built in hat at the end of the syphon.

Cheers.

I dont have a bazooka but looking on ebay could get some 30 mesh stainless sheet to make something similar for £3. May do that as have a good two weeks till bottling time.

What is the hop sock? A muslin or nylon mesh bag?

I'd say it's closer to nylon, similar to net curtain material, comes as a little bag with a small drawer string to go over the end of your rigid syphon tube.

It worked well on the Festival kit so I clean it up and sanitise it for use on all my brews now just as an extra barrier to any larger particles.

Latest posts

Back