Dump the cold break?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think that's what it's called anyway!! Photo below...
First time brewing with the collection jar, and I seem to have pulled loads of the cold break into the fermentor. I'm waiting for the temp to drop before I pitch my yeast starter, so no issues with losing any of that if I dump the contents of the jar before fermentation kicks off. But should I, or just leave it?
Temp is currently 32C and dropping, so prob got until the morning before I pitch.
I'll be dumping the yeast cake to reuse after fermentation has finished and before dry hopping.
It's an adnams Ease Up all grain with their own adnams yeast. 😁👌

Attachments

• PXL_20240510_193910921.jpg
    PXL_20240510_193910921.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I think that's what it's called anyway!! Photo below...
First time brewing with the collection jar, and I seem to have pulled loads of the cold break into the fermentor. I'm waiting for the temp to drop before I pitch my yeast starter, so no issues with losing any of that if I dump the contents of the jar before fermentation kicks off. But should I, or just leave it?
Temp is currently 32C and dropping, so prob got until the morning before I pitch.
I'll be dumping the yeast cake to reuse after fermentation has finished and before dry hopping.
It's an adnams Ease Up all grain with their own adnams yeast. 😁👌
Dump it so you can catch your yeast later. You can still pitch your yeast while the break and hop material are still settling.

Update.... I dumped one collection jar of it, pitched the yeast and now its nearing the end of fermentation 3 days in. But.... it looks like this! This is not hops, or what I would call 'normal' looking trub. I had planned to dump the yeast cake before dry hopping so that I can I keep the collected yeast a little cleaner.
I'm wondering if I should wait until fermentation is finished, cold crash to try and get all of this to drop, dump, and then warm back up again to 14C and dry hop then? Currently fermenting at 20C.
I may have caused this by not measuring the whirlfloc very well (ie, at all) and just chucking some in. Probably over did it by quite a bit!
I've tried to stir it up a bit by flowing CO2 up from the collection jar. Its hard to tell, but I think much of this is stuck on the sides, rather than it covering the whole cross sectional surface area of the fermenter. Maybe I should open up and give it a good stir with a sterilised spoon?!

1715776541179.png

Update.... I dumped one collection jar of it, pitched the yeast and now its nearing the end of fermentation 3 days in. But.... it looks like this! This is not hops, or what I would call 'normal' looking trub. I had planned to dump the yeast cake before dry hopping so that I can I keep the collected yeast a little cleaner.
I'm wondering if I should wait until fermentation is finished, cold crash to try and get all of this to drop, dump, and then warm back up again to 14C and dry hop then? Currently fermenting at 20C
I may have caused this by not measuring the whirlfloc very well (ie, at all) and just chucking some in. Probably over did it by quite a bit!
I've tried to stir it up a bit by flowing CO2 up from the collection jar. Its hard to tell, but I think much of this is stuck on the sides, rather than it covering the whole cross sectional surface area of the fermenter.

This looks very much like an overdose of protafloc/whirfloc.

I've attached Murphy's information sheet about Protafloc, and you can see on the second page there's a picture showing what happens when you double the optimum dose. A protafloc tablet is 2.5g, and that doses 100 litres.

Here's another good example:

whirfloc.jpg

Maybe I should open up and give it a good stir with a sterilised spoon?!

No no no no!

Just leave it, it will pack down over time, and chilling will accelerate it. Personally I'd drop it to 13C and leave it, but you can do as you say and drop it much colder, then let it warm up a bit for dry hopping.

Attachments

• Protafloc-WEB-UK-V1-SALES-SHEET.pdf
    966.9 KB · Views: 0
It is better to keep cold break out of the fermenter altogether, that is why we go to the trouble of boiling and adding Irish moss, also how can efficiency be calculated when the trub goes into the fermenter with the wort? All well and good if you can dump the trub but that is a hell of a lot of trub in that fermenter.
Cold crashing will compact the trub down the bottom and there is no need to let it warm up again you can still dry hop effectively at cold temperatures according to Peter Wolfes Thesis on Dry Hopping.

I'm lucky that I live less than hour from Adnams.... And they were happy to give me some yeast a couple of months ago! I also just emailed and they sent the recipe - for something like 10000 litres! I've scaled that down, and hoping it comes out decent.. Here is it on Brewfather -
https://share.brewfather.app/jnMgAhYRLG6ETH
I've put verdant yeast on that, but I just made that up as I knew I was using theirs!

For ease on the brew day I tend to do the same - everything goes in to the fermenter, I let it settle and then dump off about 2 litres of trub before pitching yeast.

The problem here is the fining overdose is attracting protein out of the wort beyond what is required for clear beer.

It’ll settle out, it’ll just take a little bit of extra time.

@gingerneil Please keep us updated on progress.

The problem here is the fining overdose is attracting protein out of the wort beyond what is required for clear beer.

It’ll settle out, it’ll just take a little bit of extra time
Yes, I had this issue with protofloc.

I've switched to using 1/2 per 23l batch which is better.
Ideally I should use 1/4 but it gets difficult to accurately split them.

Maybe I should go back to using a teaspoon of Irish moss, it's not really any less convenient.

Latest posts

Back