Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use those in my portable keggerator - I have a mixture of reused shop bought one's and I bought some from a hubs. I attach a co2 cylinder and tap to it and they are great for parties :-)

I also use the co2 type injector kegs now, perfect pint every time in fact i have 25 now sod all that bottling :lol:

I also use the co2 type injector kegs now, perfect pint every time in fact i have 25 now sod all that bottling :lol:

Got the party star deluxe for Xmas, plus another three that needed emptying first, so I'm up to six! Think I'd be homeless if I had 25.

Do you chill all of yours in the fridge first? Some of the English ales taste better at room temp I think, but wondered how the tap copes? Guess I could use the in built tap and no pressure for those beers.

Got the party star deluxe for Xmas, plus another three that needed emptying first, so I'm up to six! Think I'd be homeless if I had 25.

Do you chill all of yours in the fridge first? Some of the English ales taste better at room temp I think, but wondered how the tap copes? Guess I could use the in built tap and no pressure for those beers.

Tbh no i dont chill them my basement is quite cool this time of year anyway, having said that once i bring a keg upstairs i drink it at room temps, i dont like ales to cold i have however chilled a larger down today that i kegged

Yes when not chilled some of my ales have been quite lively for a pint or two so no gas is needed for quite a while

Cheers Steve. I can't fit them in the fridge without removing a shelf.

I did buy one of those freezer keg jackets, but not used it yet to know if it works. I do like my hoppy US ones cold. Trying to convince SWMBO to let me have a fridge in the spare room.

Cheers Steve. I can't fit them in the fridge without removing a shelf.

I did buy one of those freezer keg jackets, but not used it yet to know if it works. I do like my hoppy US ones cold. Trying to convince SWMBO to let me have a fridge in the spare room.

Wonder if they work:-? where did you get it from Hops :thumb:

Wonder if they work:-? where did you get it from Hops :thumb:

Leyland Home Brew do them here.

The stuff inside it is blue, so I guess it's like the freezer blocks you put in your cool box to keep it cold. I suspect it's meant to keep an already cold keg cool, rather than cool one down. The sections aren't that large, so would melt quite quickly I think.

If all else fails, I'll get a large ceramic plant pot to put it in and pack it with freezer blocks and ice.

Leyland Home Brew do them here.

The stuff inside it is blue, so I guess it's like the freezer blocks you put in your cool box to keep it cold. I suspect it's meant to keep an already cold keg cool, rather than cool one down. The sections aren't that large, so would melt quite quickly I think.

If all else fails, I'll get a large ceramic plant pot to put it in and pack it with freezer blocks and ice.

Oh worth a punt for that sort of money! if all else fails drink quicker :rofl:

I've just tried a Hobgoblin (blue) and had to destroy the vent to get it out.
In fact it eventually fell inside the can so took me about 15 minutes to brute force it out.
Almost gave up at one point and was going to chuck it.

I got the same for Christmas but had to connect it up to a keg of Fyne Ales Maverick to try it out.
I found the party star a great thing. It gave the beer a better head and is really easy to use.
I'll fill the kegs up when my latest brew is ready to go but will have to get another full keg to "recycle"

The party star is great, but why cant they give you a adapter to use with the 8g bulbs as it would seem you can only get nitrogen in 8g not 16g

Anyway on that subject i have 3 taps now and often wondered what my ales would be like one with Co2 the other with Nitrogen

So i have access to many different machines at work and decided to make a adapter, it works great with the 8g bulbs will i use it though after i run out of gas probably not unless i start making more stouts or guinness type ales,

The party star is great, but why cant they give you a adapter to use with the 8g bulbs as it would seem you can only get nitrogen in 8g not 16g

Anyway on that subject i have 3 taps now and often wondered what my ales would be like one with Co2 the other with Nitrogen

So i have access to many different machines at work and decided to make a adapter, it works great with the 8g bulbs will i use it though after i run out of gas probably not unless i start making more stouts or guinness type ales,

If I want to use 8g bulbs in the past iv wrapped electrical tape around them and packed it into the cartridge

I broached my first keg this eve and REALLY like the action of pouring from a tap from a keg - much better than a bottle where you have to make sure you dont pour the yeast into your glass

Ive read somewhere to go 1/3rd of bottling sugar for minikegs and then other places read use 1/2 like you mention - I'd normally use 4.5g per litre for bottling and ale so somewhere between 10g-12g sounds about right.

Let me know how your 12.5g per keg works out for carbonation level.

I was under the impression a keg would somehow carbonate 'more' than a bottle at 2.5g/L but it doesn't seem to be the case. I don't mind 2.5g/L but I much prefer my usual bottle carbonation level of 5g/L. Will have to do a bit of research to see if carbing a mini keg at 5g/L will be ok or will blow it up/deform it.

I broached my first keg this eve and REALLY like the action of pouring from a tap from a keg - much better than a bottle where you have to make sure you dont pour the yeast into your glass

I was under the impression a keg would somehow carbonate 'more' than a bottle at 2.5g/L but it doesn't seem to be the case. I don't mind 2.5g/L but I much prefer my usual bottle carbonation level of 5g/L. Will have to do a bit of research to see if carbing a mini keg at 5g/L will be ok or will blow it up/deform it.

I may stand corrected but no carbonation levels dont increase in these kegs all that happens is a pint of foam, i have kegged a lager at higher rates and its pint after pint of foam at higher carb rates :thumb:

Unless im doing something wrong

Have now discovered the danger of mini kegs. Its' FAR too easy to repeatedly fill my 660ml Lamb & Flag tankard - there's something to be said for 330ml bottles to restrict my beer intake.

Latest posts

Back