Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the kegs and the party star but my hb ended up with microbubbles of co2 and the beer seeming rather flat when drank. Hoping it was just a batch issue as my next is ready for kegging and it's a wheat beer and I prefer it to have a reasonable fizz.

Have now discovered the danger of mini kegs. Its' FAR too easy to repeatedly fill my 660ml Lamb & Flag tankard - there's something to be said for 330ml bottles to restrict my beer intake.

Welcome my friend to Mini Kegging ( huge Jeremy Clarkson Grin :D )

I really tried to get them shipped here but 0 luck!!!! I'm talking to a guy who might ship me some cornys!!! Damn costly. See what customs will do with it!?!

Have followed this thread and now have my party star tap and some kegs. One question, how much should I be filling the kegs? Do I need to leave a wee bit of head space as I would in bottles?

Have followed this thread and now have my party star tap and some kegs. One question, how much should I be filling the kegs? Do I need to leave a wee bit of head space as I would in bottles?

Yes thats right i leave around 1" from the top and had no problems:thumb:

Cheers Steve. Have got an IPA to keg just wanna make sure I do it right. Am planning on 10-12g of sugar per keg. That seem about right? (I know the subject of sugar quantities has taken up quite a bit of the discussion on this thread!)

Cheers Steve. Have got an IPA to keg just wanna make sure I do it right. Am planning on 10-12g of sugar per keg. That seem about right? (I know the subject of sugar quantities has taken up quite a bit of the discussion on this thread!)

No problem and yeah the sugar thing does seem to take up quite a bit of this thread i have used 4 tsp with good results and have even went up to 6 that was a bit to lively :lol:

Come on you lot shoot me down

This is my HBC IPA Willamette - first time using minikegs and used 10g of tate and lyle to prime - left an inch of headspace also (5l leaves a space).

This pint is half way down the keg so the carbonation level seems spot on for me - first half pint was very frothy then settled down nicely.

10-12g of priming sugar seems about right to me:

WP_20151226_001.jpg

This is my HBC IPA Willamette - first time using minikegs and used 10g of tate and lyle to prime - left an inch of headspace also (5l leaves a space).

This pint is half way down the keg so the carbonation level seems spot on for me - first half pint was very frothy then settled down nicely.

10-12g of priming sugar seems about right to me:
Did you dissolve the sugar in water to add or did you add it dry?
I used 12.5g of brewers sugar (dextrose?) and I was disappointed with the amount of carbonation so I'm trying to work out were I went wrong I added it dry to the keg then filled with it with ale.

Did you dissolve the sugar in water to add or did you add it dry?
I used 12.5g of brewers sugar (dextrose?) and I was disappointed with the amount of carbonation so I'm trying to work out were I went wrong I added it dry to the keg then filled with it with ale.

I mixed my 10g priming sugar with a little boiling water to create a sugary solution, dumped that through a funnel into the minikeg, then syphoned my 5l of ale in on top.

I wonder if you had a good seal with the bung - I applied a little vaseline to the ring of the bung which connects to the keg and also a little vaseline around the punch plug in the middle of the bung - just to try and avoid getting any leaks while it carbs up.

I have read that using regular (bottle) levels of priming sugar can cause the keg to deform due to too much pressure while it carbs up.

Just my first mini-keg so early days but based on this one 10-12g of priming sugar (approx) seems about right if you get a good seal during carbing.

Hope this helps.

I mixed my 10g priming sugar with a little boiling water to create a sugary solution, dumped that through a funnel into the minikeg, then syphoned my 5l of ale in on top.

I wonder if you had a good seal with the bung - I applied a little vaseline to the ring of the bung which connects to the keg and also a little vaseline around the punch plug in the middle of the bung - just to try and avoid getting any leaks while it carbs up.

I have read that using regular (bottle) levels of priming sugar can cause the keg to deform due to too much pressure while it carbs up.

Just my first mini-keg so early days but based on this one 10-12g of priming sugar (approx) seems about right if you get a good seal during carbing.

Hope this helps.
Cheers Spapro,
I guess not making it a solution was what I did wrong the seal seemed fine as there appeared to be plenty of pressure when tapped before I opened the co2 valve I got a lovely pint or two of froth lol
Will try a little vaseline too just in case though.
Michael

Are the bungs with the punch plug reusable?

Yes, the grey 'punch plug' bungs for use with a CO2 tap are re-usable. So are the black/red (standard air intake) plugs if you dismantle them without damaging them.

Obviously make sure you clean, sterilise everything thoroughly before re-assembling with a new brew.

Yes, the grey 'punch plug' bungs for use with a CO2 tap are re-usable. So are the black/red (standard air intake) plugs if you dismantle them without damaging them.

Obviously make sure you clean, sterilise everything thoroughly before re-assembling with a new brew.

Thanks, that's good to know. :thumb:

Sad day at Sausage Towers, I'm sad to report my mini keg disasters of late.
I have 9 of them and around 250 bottles on the go, sometimes I don't fancy a full sesh on the kegs so it's easier just to get the bottles out.This means that some of my kegs date bake to July/August thinking the longer they are left,the better.
I've now had to pour the contents of the last 3 kegs away as there was nothing but froth coming out, tried everything but it was taking forever to get anything out that was drinkable. The beer tasted fine but the amount of froth meant that it took about 1/2 an hour to get 1/2 a pint (waiting for froth to die down then topping up)
I only used the red tap on the front and didn't add any co2 with the party star, all 3 kegs were pure froth right down to the dregs. I didn't do anything different to any of the other kegs that I've been using for the past 12 months without problem.I'll be trying another today so fingers crossed it doesn't get swilled down the drain
#sadsausage:-(

Cheers Spapro,
I guess not making it a solution was what I did wrong the seal seemed fine as there appeared to be plenty of pressure when tapped before I opened the co2 valve I got a lovely pint or two of froth lol
Will try a little vaseline too just in case though.
Michael

I tend to make a solution but don't think you have to with priming sugar.

Are you using your minikeg with a CO2 tap or just the standard pull/turn tap built into a minikeg ?

I had an Old speckled Hen minikeg from Morrisons (to re-use the keg more than anything). Obviously this used the pull/turn built in tap with the air intake bung in the top and after the first couple of decent pints I thought the rest of the keg was pretty flat.

Using a party star tap with CO2 allows you to keep topping the pressure up in the keg as you draw off the beer so the remaining beer stays fizzy.

Latest posts

Back