Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can I use the PartyStar tap with the supermarket kegs with a bottom tap?

After the MK has been emptied and refilled, just replace the top bung with one of the "grey bungs" designed for the tap.

Releasing all the pressure, removing the original bung and replacing it with a "grey bung" and tap can be done before the MK is empty, but you will lose all of the carbonation and introduce the possibility of an infection.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

After the MK has been emptied and refilled, just replace the top bung with one of the "grey bungs" designed for the tap.

Releasing all the pressure, removing the original bung and replacing it with a "grey bung" and tap can be done before the MK is empty, but you will lose all of the carbonation and introduce the possibility of an infection.

Hope this helps. :thumb:
Ah so as I have emptied and refilled before I bought the new tap I reused the original bung. So it wouldn't be advisable to change this out now?

Could I not remove the top piece of the shop bung and push the tap through (pushing the bottom fitting into the keg) and the shop keg seal on the tap?

If not I will have to wait two weeks for a play with it.

Ah so as I have emptied and refilled before I bought the new tap I reused the original bung. So it wouldn't be advisable to change this out now?

Could I not remove the top piece of the shop bung and push the tap through (pushing the bottom fitting into the keg) and the shop keg seal on the tap?

If not I will have to wait two weeks for a play with it.

I've always considered the black bung that comes with the keg as being too hard to grip the wand on the tap and seal the connection.

I have been known to be horribly wrong of course ... :whistle:

... so maybe a smear of Vaseline on the wand will be enough. :thumb:

My advice is "Go for it." 'cos the MK is only 5 litres and you can always carry on and drink it. :thumb:

I guess worst case situation it doesnt work and I pull the bung out swap it with a sterilized grey one and drink quickly!

Win if it works, win (by drowning sorrows) If it doesn't. 😜

Next question about going forward. Do I still prime with sugar if I'll be using a grey bung and tap?

I guess worst case situation it doesnt work and I pull the bung out swap it with a sterilized grey one and drink quickly!

Win if it works, win (by drowning sorrows) If it doesn't. 😜

Next question about going forward. Do I still prime with sugar if I'll be using a grey bung and tap?

The Party Star tap should have a CO2 injection facility fitted so there will be no requirement to re-prime the keg with sugar; just inject some CO2.

If you don't have the CO2 injection facility on the tap I have to wonder why are you looking at installing the tap in the first place, 'cos it won't serve any useful purpose! :doh:

PS

If you are talking about refilling the MK and then using the Party Star tap then "Yes" you prime the MK (maximum of 3g of sugar per litre is recommended) and allow it to carbonate with a grey bung in the top.

When it comes time to drink the contents I recommend taking the first couple of pints out of the bottom tap and living with the foam before introducing the wand.

(I once "blew" the seal around the bottom tap on an MK. I reckon that the cause was that the MK was over pressurised by the introduction of the wand because the MK was slightly over-filled and the CO2 sat on top of the beer didn't have time to get absorbed into the beer.) :doh:

So I tapped it...

f44f01c39bf4033672820c237b152260.jpg

Lots of foam to start with. Leak coming out of the top. 😔

14775f850ded21769111343a7efad2fa.jpg

So I thought in for a penny in for a pound and swapped bung for a grey one.

dee75c57f0c55746a2054902d381f5e7.jpg

A much better pint but .
Still leaking! 😔

e3bd739105880834e977447331532505.jpg

Guess it'll need some vsseline.i know @Dutto said this earlier but didn't have any so kind of winged it.

Still tastes awesome and VERY creamy. 😎👌🍻

Got hold of some Vaseline.

Leak stopped...

Now foamy again! Guessing this will settle in time?

80bb18da1c3cdf6f18a87f52f0b600bb.jpg

Last question (well no promises) where should the CO2 dial be? I've vot it set about half way now.

Got hold of some Vaseline.

Leak stopped...

Now foamy again! Guessing this will settle in time?

80bb18da1c3cdf6f18a87f52f0b600bb.jpg

Last question (well no promises) where should the CO2 dial be? I've vot it set about half way now.

Without looking I can't remember but don't have it on when pouring, you will use up all the gas. After pouring a pint turn the dial and you will hear the gas releasing.

Without looking I can't remember but don't have it on when pouring, you will use up all the gas. After pouring a pint turn the dial and you will hear the gas releasing.
Ah I see... I've just left the gas on the whole time since getting it set up. That could explain it. I'll try that. Thanks!

Interested members so far -

@MrRock

@AlanManley

@longy

@zipfly

@MrEgg

@monkeyra

If anyone else is interested add your name to the thread.

Interested members -

@MrRock

@AlanManley

@longy

@zipfly

@MrEgg

@monkeyra

@Melter

If anyone else is interested add your name to the thread.

So adjusting the gas to be off when pouring and putting it in the fridge overnight. Sorted!

What am I doing wrong? I think I posted about this before.

This is what I did do.

Turned vent from 0 to 1. Bug release of gas

Inserted party star, gush of beer shot out of the holes of the stem whilst Kt was going in.

When pouring a pint the beer spluts out causing a massive pint of form. Beer does run out like it has done previously.

Over carbed? There there plenty of co2 in there. The only way to get beer out is via the bottom tag but that comes out at 100mph so a pint of form.

Attached is a photo after using the party star.

The only thing I don't do that other may do is put Vaseline on the shaft(that sounds wrong)

IMG_4337.jpg

That's what happened to me yesterday. After leaving it overnight in the fridge it sorted itself out. Now pouring great.

That's what happened to me yesterday. After leaving it overnight in the fridge it sorted itself out. Now pouring great.

Maybe needs venting and then leaving.

I have had this issue before and I can't remember if it sorted itself out. This keg was primed with at least 20g of sugar, I would say the beer is supper fizzy but there was plenty of co2 in there because the top of the bung was being pushed out

What am I doing wrong? I think I posted about this before.

This is what I did do.

Turned vent from 0 to 1. Bug release of gas

Inserted party star, gush of beer shot out of the holes of the stem whilst Kt was going in.

When pouring a pint the beer spluts out causing a massive pint of form. Beer does run out like it has done previously.

Over carbed? There there plenty of co2 in there. The only way to get beer out is via the bottom tag but that comes out at 100mph so a pint of form.

Attached is a photo after using the party star.

The only thing I don't do that other may do is put Vaseline on the shaft(that sounds wrong)

Simples! :thumb:

Inside the MK the gaseous CO2 and the CO2 dissolved in the beer are in equilibrium; and the MK is full of liquid with only a small space at the top of the MK.

When you push the wand into the MK it displaces its own volume and because there is insufficient time for the gas to be absorbed into the liquid the equilibrium is disturbed and the pressure increases dramatically.

The answer is to draw a couple of pints (it will be mainly foam) off the bottom tap immediately before introducing the wand of the Party Star tap.

This ensures that the volume above the liquid is increased and the pressure is decreased; so inserting the wand won't cause a significant increase in pressure.

Give it a few minutes to settle down and the tap should pour normally. :thumb:

PS

I put a smear of Vaseline on the shaft just above the CO2 injection holes. (That sounds even worse! :lol:)

Latest posts

Back