Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excuse the poor video, I didn't have enough hands but here is an example of the issue. This is after drawing off a few pints from the bottom tap.

https://youtu.be/A3_IEoMm2Dw

After much trial and error I have found a way to remove the plastic and rubber bungs....
I took a hacksaw blade and cut about 5 - 8mm from the centre of the bung. This really weakens it and allows it to pulled out with pliers/grips without damaging the keg.

Hope this helps......

14911509473191540265770.jpg

After much trial and error I have found a way to remove the plastic and rubber bungs....
I took a hacksaw blade and cut about 5 - 8mm from the centre of the bung. This really weakens it and allows it to pulled out with pliers/grips without damaging the keg.

Hope this helps......

Thats good to know. I've nver tried to remove one of those style bungs but I understand they're an absolute biatch to get out

I'm addition to the above video, I carried on trying to pour a pint with the party star and it eventually spluttered to a stop, weird. Added more gas and it carried on spluttering again. Perhaps something wrong with the tap?

I should also add that I have just checked the step by step guide that is posted on the how to forum and they only thing I have been doing is venting the keg by twisting the bung. I guess this is my mistake. Any thoughts?

Sounds like the shaft has a hole in it or is too short. Sorry don't know about these kegs.

I'm addition to the above video, I carried on trying to pour a pint with the party star and it eventually spluttered to a stop, weird. Added more gas and it carried on spluttering again. Perhaps something wrong with the tap?

I should also add that I have just checked the step by step guide that is posted on the how to forum and they only thing I have been doing is venting the keg by twisting the bung. I guess this is my mistake. Any thoughts?

Just a thought; is the attenuator installed? (If it has one!)

My Flexi-Tap has an attenuator (a solid plastic rod) fitted up inside the wand. If it isn't fitted (I tried it once :doh:) the delivery is the same spluttering and foaming that you describe.

The attenuator allows a gradual pressure drop to occur as the beer flows up the wand and thereby reduces the amount of foaming.

Without the attenuator, the pressure drop occurs across the valve and (just like on the bottom tap) it produces large amounts of foam!

Just a thought; is the attenuator installed? (If it has one!)

My Flexi-Tap has an attenuator (a solid plastic rod) fitted up inside the wand. If it isn't fitted (I tried it once :doh:) the delivery is the same spluttering and foaming that you describe.

The attenuator allows a gradual pressure drop to occur as the beer flows up the wand and thereby reduces the amount of foaming.

Without the attenuator, the pressure drop occurs across the valve and (just like on the bottom tap) it produces large amounts of foam!

It never had one. It was performing ok up until my last keg.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just finished my second filling of my easykeg. Like the first, I managed to get the entire 5L of beer out without opening the top valve, just under the pressure of the CO2 from priming. Doing it this way means you get a heck of a lot of foam for the first half of the keg and quite a bit for the rest of it but if you are happy to be patient and let it settle and top up then you can keep the keg open for as long as you need to finish it, without worrying about it spoiling.

As it turned out, this one only lasted 5 days over the Easter holiday but now that I'm happy that I can do this reliably, I may invest in some more kegs.

I have been selling some old vinyl on eBay and I've raised enough to buy one of these:
https://www.klarstein.co.uk/Home-ap...s-Steel.html?listtype=search&searchparam=Skal

I ordered this morning and it says I should receive it in 3-5 days. I'll try to get something put up on my blog about it if Wordpress ever sort out my disappearing post issue.

That looks fantastic, I'd really appreciate your feedback as it's something I've been looking at myself, my Party Star tap has started losing pressure so need something to replace it

I have been selling some old vinyl on eBay and I've raised enough to buy one of these:
https://www.klarstein.co.uk/Home-appliances/Drinks-dispenser/Beer-tap-dispenser/Skal-Beer-Tap-Dispenser-Beer-Cooler-5-l-Kegs-CO2-Stainless-Steel.html?listtype=search&searchparam=Skal

I ordered this morning and it says I should receive it in 3-5 days. I'll try to get something put up on my blog about it if Wordpress ever sort out my disappearing post issue.

Please let us know when you do. Been meaning to buy one of these for ages.

That looks fantastic, I'd really appreciate your feedback as it's something I've been looking at myself, my Party Star tap has started losing pressure so need something to replace it

I have a Party Star too. My issue is getting the kegs chilled. I saw a massive difference in the quality of carbonation in my minikegged brews over the winter when I was able to chill them properly.

I have a Party Star too. My issue is getting the kegs chilled. I saw a massive difference in the quality of carbonation in my minikegged brews over the winter when I was able to chill them properly.

You can use a cool bag with some of those blue freezer blocks in it to chill MKs.

I'm also keen to hear your thoughts on the new Klarstein.

Mainly: how well does it hold temperature and does the fan run constantly?

That happens to me when I've over or under tightened the dip tube. Does the O ring at the top of the tube look ok?

Back