EDME Irish Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheffieldlad

Reaction score
Got this for crimbo, decided to brew the stout straight away.

IMG_3220.jpg

Soaked the tin in warm water to help thin out the contents then added sugar, tin contents, boiling water into fermenter.

Gave it a good stir and topped up with cold water. It's just waiting to come up to temp again so I can pitch the yeast.

Has anyone brewed this kit before and what were results like?

:cheers:

-Paul

Hello there, yep brewed the stout using medium spray malt and demerara sugar, fermented for two weeks or so, stuck in a corny and tried every now and then, to be honest the first few I had I hated. Poured a pint yesterday and compared it with a can of guiness, we all preferred the home brew. Lovely flavour with a huge creamy top... Did take around 3 months before i found it worth while.drinking, but its probably the nicest kit I have made to date!! One I will do again and again, you will.love it im sure

BrewDan said:
Hello there, yep brewed the stout using medium spray malt and demerara sugar, fermented for two weeks or so, stuck in a corny and tried every now and then, to be honest the first few I had I hated. Poured a pint yesterday and compared it with a can of guiness, we all preferred the home brew. Lovely flavour with a huge creamy top... Did take around 3 months before i found it worth while.drinking, but its probably the nicest kit I have made to date!! One I will do again and again, you will.love it im sure

Great to hear Dan, Thanks for the reply. :thumb:

I'm looking forward to tasting it already but I will take your advice and leave it a few months at least until I neck any of it :D

-Paul

It really is a lovely drink if left for a while in my opinion, let me know what you think! :D

Made the 20ish pint without sugar form of this, it's bloody thick and it was bitter to a nasty level but it has definitely improved with time (2/3 months). Still not perfect but I think it will get there :)

AndrewVu said:
Made the 20ish pint without sugar form of this, it's bloody thick and it was bitter to a nasty level but it has definitely improved with time (2/3 months). Still not perfect but I think it will get there :)

I did the 40 pint with 1kg of sugar.
Hope it's not too bitter but I'm sure if left for a good few months it will improve.

Would anyone recomend adding a tanin?

I know it's black and i would probably have trouble telling if it was clear or not I would like to make every effort to improve it as much as possible.

-Paul

When you were mixing the wort did it smell of a burnt smell with a bit a a black treacle hint? Because mine does that i mixed today

Forgot to mention, I added a table spoon of treacle to mine :) when I have a proper taste (when it's not as bitter) I'll post here.

boody227 said:
When you were mixing the wort did it smell of a burnt smell with a bit a a black treacle hint? Because mine does that i mixed today

Yes it did. it smells really strong.

boody227 said:
Forgot to mention, I added a table spoon of treacle to mine :) when I have a proper taste (when it's not as bitter) I'll post here

I've been advised to wait at least 3 months till tasting although I will have a cheeky nip during bottling :drink:

Everyone who has posted about the EDME stout kits says it gets better the lo9nger you leave it.

Hope yours turns out ok

-Paul

boody227 said:

Yes, a strong smell, like treacle and marmite mixed together.

AndrewVu said:
boody227 said:

Yes, a strong smell, like treacle and marmite mixed together.
How did the end product taste? i hope its better than it smells

It'll be a while before I can call it 'the end product' it's bitter right now but the rest is bottled and stored away for 3-6 months :)

Latest posts

Back