EE - The new mobile network.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ScottM said:
IPA said:
I've got a mobile contract that gives 60mins calls and 450 texts and costs TWO EUROS a month. We have two PC's and one laptop and a netbook a top of the range digital SLR camera. If I ever feel the need to try and impress people in public places I might buy a round in the pub instead of investing a load of dosh in something that does everything not very well!

Good for you. I have 2 PCs, 3 laptops, an IPad, 2 Digital SLRs and a Full HD top of the line Camcorder. If I ever feel the need to impress anyone on a forum I post pics of my wang rather than list a load of non-relevant dross that doesn't come across very well.

Maybe where you are the phones don't do anything well but over here they tend to be rather good for calling and texting. How good is your digital SLR at making and receiving calls?
The phone works well no matter where I am in the world in fact I can take a photo with it and push a button and a real postcard arrives at the address I entered with the photo on the the front and my message on the back. Much more personal than a text don't you think? Can you do this with a 4G comforter. The camera takes excellent photos because it's not pretending to be a phone. Oh I forgot about the partridge in a pear tree

Frogfurlong said:
We each have our own preferences in technology and should respect them.

Well said Frog :thumb: I think that's enough debate on who's got more toys.

ScottM said:
Just did a little test for the hell of it, speedtest.net app.

I have 2 bars on H+

Ping 58ms, Download 5209kbps, Upload 2838kbps.

Not too shabby for a **** signal :D

I just did a speed test just to see what I get at home with EE 3g.
I got fantastic results and was really impressed, then I remembered my phone was using WiFi.
I turned off WiFi and tried again, got bored waiting for it to find a server so gave up.

Runwell-Steve said:
ScottM said:
Just did a little test for the hell of it, speedtest.net app.

I have 2 bars on H+

Ping 58ms, Download 5209kbps, Upload 2838kbps.

Not too shabby for a **** signal :D

I just did a speed test just to see what I get at home with EE 3g.
I got fantastic results and was really impressed, then I remembered my phone was using WiFi.
I turned off WiFi and tried again, got bored waiting for it to find a server so gave up.

EE 3g isn't actually the new network from what I understand. Are you actually with EE or did the symbol on your phone recently change from Orange/T-Mobile to EE? If it did then that's just the plain old Orange/T-Mobile network, the same as what I checked.

Worst of it is that I've been reading that the 4G signal rollout will be on the Orange band at first, rather than both. This means if you don't get a GREAT signal with Orange already, then it's likely you won't get a great signal when 4G is rolled out in your area.

I'm sure things will get there though :)

Strangely since 4g began my signal has dropped off :x where I am now I used to get 4 out of 4 bars HSDPA but now I'm struggling to get 1 bar on 3g. Weird

theboytony said:
Strangely since 4g began my signal has dropped off :x where I am now I used to get 4 out of 4 bars HSDPA but now I'm struggling to get 1 bar on 3g. Weird

That's a little worrying. According to the signal map I'm not in a 4G area, yet, so remain unaffected. Have you checked to see if you are in a 4G area? If you are I would give them a call to see what the deal is.

On one hand it could be interference, but on the other it could simply be cell tower upgrades for 4G... thus the signal dropping out for you in the meantime.

IPA said:
piddledribble said:
I got a mobile.... it makes calls and texts....
Cost me £50 several years ago. I put £20 worth of credit on when I want ( £20 since December 2011 and still got £6 left ) er I don't use it much ... :D
I've got me computer at home for the internet, I've got me sat naff to know where I am... and I think there's a game or two on it somewhere .. :thumb:
I've got a mobile contract that gives 60mins calls and 450 texts and costs TWO EUROS a month. We have two PC's and one laptop and a netbook a top of the range digital SLR camera. If I ever feel the need to try and impress people in public places I might buy a round in the pub instead of investing a load of dosh in something that does everything not very well!

WAHOOOOOOO, brilliant!!!!

I thought i was the only sarcastic member on here. My sentiments exactly.
Its a known fact published by Orange that 90% of all mobile calls and texts are unnecessary

This rubbish just fulfills the otherwise empty lives of those that need to impress. Big deal, you can sit on the bus watching Top gear going to work seven days a week to pay for it all..

Ive got a contract that gives me 50 texts and 25 minutes a month, more than enough for the 10% necessary things i do for only £1 a month

And i get free broadband MWaha hah ha ha ha ha I love it......

It seems this topic has split the members into the stereotypical three types

1) Got to have : These are go getters who are early adopters of technology. On their reviews others make decisions. They see technology as an aid to life and the more gadgets you can cram into a matchbox the better, why carry a toolbox when a multitool can do it all?

2) I like what I have : These are more cautious with their hard earned, they explore every posibility. Their watchword is research, reviews are read and re-read before a decision is made. These types will have a full toolbox and a tool for every job, a multitool can't do everything well.

3) Meh : These types really don't care about new technology, they will read the reviews and remember the information for when their 5 year old mobile phone finally coughs its last SMS. Until then they can't get excited about a piece of plastic that makes phonecalls/coffee.

Frogfurlong said:
It seems this topic has split the members into the stereotypical three types

Which is strange, because I didn't start the thread in this manner. The discussion was on the new EE network, which as far as I can tell noone has yet stated joining.

I aint another idiot.

I just cant get excited over a phone....sorry.
I work with phones all day and everyday. I'm plugged into one with a f.. headset that makes my ear itch, the last thing I want to do when out and about is " play " on my phone. I'd also rather hear the birds whistling than have a frigging ipod in my ear.

Its there for when its needed, for emergencies...like being dads taxi service !
I have no problems in other folks wetting themselves over new technology or wanting whatever, its just not for me. A phone is a phone.

Will 4G be backward compatable?

Can I still use my 2G brick to make calls? Will it cost me more to do so? Will I be forced to replace my phone for something "better" simply to stay connected?
Can the new system cope with what will be the influx of users? Is its coverage as good as previous network? Is it better or worse?
What are the healthrisks for the new network? Is there an increased risk of Cancer due to the use of the new multiplexing technology?

Just some of my own questions to come out of the 4G launch.

Actually, it's a bit less complicated than that.

MBNL was the joint venture between the UK arms of T-Mobile and Hutchinson 3UK (aka 3).

MBNL formed a further joint venture with Orange that they called Everything Everywhere.

At this point, anyone on a T-mobile, 3 or Orange contract weren't actually on any of those, they were legally on an Everything Everywhere contract. However, the same brands were used to prevent shocked customers ('cos we can't handle change, can we :x ).

Whatever network you are on, you are using a combination of all three at the moment.

Everything Everywhere (presumably because they all got tired of having to type so many letters when they were spelling their name) have now re-branded as EE.

They are also in the process of upgrading their network in certain cities to 4G which is very fast data download. You can only access this if you have a 4G compatible phone and 4G doesn't carry voice calls, so when you get your snazzy new phone and want to speak to someone, your phone will use the existing 3G network.

Other networks - Vodafone and O2 - are joining the party next year at some point.

It's also worth remembering that the 4G network runs on a higher frequency so you won't have to suffer the slow speeds/poor coverage that T-mobile and Orange currently suffer due to their 3G networks running on lower frequencies. And as 4G is only available in certain large cities, coverage should be very good on 3G within those areas anyway.

All of the above is open to correction if anyone is a technical engineer.

For what its worth I have a Mac, a Windows laptop and a smartphone, all of which are trained to buy a round in any pub I am in; although the laptop sometimes forgets the order when it gets to the bar and my smartphone spends too long showing off to pretty barmaids to be of any real use.

wherespete said:
Actually, it's a bit less complicated than that.

MBNL was the joint venture between the UK arms of T-Mobile and Hutchinson 3UK (aka 3).

MBNL formed a further joint venture with Orange that they called Everything Everywhere.

At this point, anyone on a T-mobile, 3 or Orange contract weren't actually on any of those, they were legally on an Everything Everywhere contract. However, the same brands were used to prevent shocked customers ('cos we can't handle change, can we :x ).

Whatever network you are on, you are using a combination of all three at the moment.

Everything Everywhere (presumably because they all got tired of having to type so many letters when they were spelling their name) have now re-branded as EE.

They are also in the process of upgrading their network in certain cities to 4G which is very fast data download. You can only access this if you have a 4G compatible phone and 4G doesn't carry voice calls, so when you get your snazzy new phone and want to speak to someone, your phone will use the existing 3G network.

Other networks - Vodafone and O2 - are joining the party next year at some point.

It's also worth remembering that the 4G network runs on a higher frequency so you won't have to suffer the slow speeds/poor coverage that T-mobile and Orange currently suffer due to their 3G networks running on lower frequencies. And as 4G is only available in certain large cities, coverage should be very good on 3G within those areas anyway.

All of the above is open to correction if anyone is a technical engineer.

For what its worth I have a Mac, a Windows laptop and a smartphone, all of which are trained to buy a round in any pub I am in; although the laptop sometimes forgets the order when it gets to the bar and my smartphone spends too long showing off to pretty barmaids to be of any real use.

I didn't realise 3 were in on this too? I thought they were one of the networks complaining about the upgrade plans of next year not suiting them? As I understood it EE was solely T-Mobile and Orange?

Edit: This backs up my thinking.... http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and ... um-1092985

Is there something they aren't telling us?

Frogfurlong said:
Will 4G be backward compatable?

Can I still use my 2G brick to make calls? Will it cost me more to do so? Will I be forced to replace my phone for something "better" simply to stay connected?
Can the new system cope with what will be the influx of users? Is its coverage as good as previous network? Is it better or worse?
What are the healthrisks for the new network? Is there an increased risk of Cancer due to the use of the new multiplexing technology?

Just some of my own questions to come out of the 4G launch.

You're older gen phone will still be fine. You won't be forced to do anything until your phone breaks. I doubt there will be any huge influx due to the lack of options and high price, given the sort of people they are aiming at. The previous coverage still stands, this is simply an additional signal on top of the current one, another rung on the speed ladder that some phones can reach and others can't.

The surveys show no increased healthrisks. The only risk of note, apparently, is to your digital terrestrial signal as it's in very close proximity to the frequency that other networks will be using next year.

ScottM said:
I didn't realise 3 were in on this too? I thought they were one of the networks complaining about the upgrade plans of next year not suiting them? As I understood it EE was solely T-Mobile and Orange?

Edit: This backs up my thinking.... http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and ... um-1092985

Is there something they aren't telling us?

Not that I would in any way use Wikipedia as an accurate source, but the EE Wikipage does include this:

Joint venture with Hutchison 3G UK

On 3 September 2010, Everything Everywhere announced that Orange would join Mobile Broadband Network Ltd (MBNL), the 3G network sharing joint venture formed in December 2007 between T-Mobile UK and Hutchison 3G UK (H3G UK). MBNL will become a 50/50 joint venture between Three UK and Everything Everywhere, with Orange contributing several thousand of its base stations for network sharing purposes.[40] MBNL was created after T-Mobile and Three UK agreed to pool their respective 3G infrastructures in a 50/50 joint venture. At present MBNL’s HSPA-based infrastructure covers more than 90% of the British population, and by the end of 2010 this figure is expected to rise to more than 98%, with the joint venture having already consolidated more than 7,000 of the 12,500 cell sites that the initial two partners had said will be merged by October 2010.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_everywhere

Which sort of confirms and contradicts everything I thought!

So EE is T-mob and Orange, while MBNL is EE and 3. Confused? You will be (and I certainly am)!

So if you're on an EE contract, you will use part of the 3UK 3G network, but if you're on 4G you won't.

I think.

Back