Effin Picobrewery Mods

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aleman said:
I'm running out of things to change . . . I don't want to break my tradition of the last couple of years of never brewing on the same kit twice :lol: . . . The weather is looking good for the weekend . . . so Sunday might very well see the brewery in action . . . Effin Adnams Southwold bitter

For 80L @1.037 (75% eff) 33.6IBU (Tinseth) 17.5EBC
Code:
10700g Pale Malt
  160g Light Crystal Malt (Possibly Caramalt)
  100g Light Chocolate Malt
   80g Roast Barley
   40g Black Malt

920g Cane Sugar - Halfway through the boil

31g Boadicea (5.6%aa 90 Minutes)
 35g Fuggles (5.0%aa 90 Minutes)
 39g Challenger (7.5%aa 90 Minutes)
 35g Goldings ( 4.9%aa 90 Minutes)
 39g Goldings ( 4.9%aa 15 Minutes) 
 16g Goldings ( 4.9%aa 70ºC Steep)
Probably the best session ale in the world ;)

Like the look of that. I was just wondering if you could explain some science for me regarding using a multitude of bittering hops. Is there a reason or do they just need using up.

Aleman said:
I give you the new (to me) 150L Pico Copper, complete with 400mm (and 200mm) 11KW Gas Burner from Hamilton Gas Products

PicoCopper.jpg

Aleman, just wondering if you've used this burner in anger yet? If so how do you rate it? I'm looking for a burner for my 113L boiler and this is top of the list so far.
DSC_1031.jpg

The internal diameter of the ring of the boiler stand is 465mm, so should have clearance for the burner to be seated onto a couple of brackets attached to the top ring of steel.

ps. how did you get your boiler so damn :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: SHINY

Cheers

LB

leedsbrew said:
Aleman said:
I give you the new (to me) 150L Pico Copper, complete with 400mm (and 200mm) 11KW Gas Burner from Hamilton Gas Products
just wondering if you've used this burner in anger yet?
I've not used it yet, following a conversation I had with Hamilton gas I want to get a shroud made for the boiler which should help with the heating of large volumes of wort efficiently. . . . It is very much quieter than the burner I currently use . . . . But then again so the the Vulcan Bomber :lol:
leedsbrew said:
If so how do you rate it? I'm looking for a burner for my 113L boiler and this is top of the list so far.[/img]
have you considered The Foker Cast Iron Burner I Know it is in theory less powerful than the paella burner, but it is a smaller more concentrated flame.
leedsbrew said:
how did you get your boiler so damn :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: SHINY
I used an UnclePumble :lol: it was effortless :rofl: :rofl:

Cheers A! Think that foker may be easier to mount as well!

UP, do you charge by the hour? :rofl: :rofl:

UP, do you charge by the hour?
No I just make sure things are shiny and clean before selling them on.

I have 3 of these vessels unpolished though in my brewery.

Piece of P*ss to do though you need a beartex polishing disc about £3 attach to 4 1/2" angle grinder and away you go.

(You can find em on the net, although I get them from a local hardware suppliers, who tell me the local micro use loads of em to get rid of beer stone)

Don't forget Goggles and gloves, :ugeek:

And make sure the bugger doesn't grab and jump or you will end up with a 5 inch gaping hole in the fleece top you are wearing and a bit of a nasty looking friction burn on your sternum :oops: (all healed up nicely now thanks)

UP

So the 150L Pico Copper, complete with 400mm (and 200mm) 11KW Gas Burner from Hamilton Gas Products

PicoCopper.jpg

Has been dropped of at the fabricators this afternoon to have a heat shroud made . . . Should be ready to be picked up on Friday afternoon Only in galvanised steel unfortunately stainless would have been preferrable but it took the cost to £150 plus VAT . . . as opposed to galvanised which is 'only' £110 + vat. . . . Which means that after fettling this weekend to fit the Ball Valve and mount the Gas burner properly (Although it might just get stood on bricks :lol) I should be in the situation of testing it to see just how well this baby rocks . . or even possibly doing something even more strange and brewing on the 26th :hmm: :hmm: I have plans for a Witbier . . . a half wit :lol:

Your going to galvanise the shiny for the sakes of £40.00 & there's me scarred for life :cry: :cry:

:nono: shame on you I think your moving from the dark side to the dimly lit side :whistle:

On a more serious note though Tony ,It won't be shiny for long after that burner has been lit under it a few times, & be very careful with galvanised and a lot of heat, if you get it too hot it gives off nasty fumes that can be very bad for you, its certainly not stuff to weld.

UP

unclepumble said:
Piece of P*ss to do though you need a beartex polishing disc about £3 attach to 4 1/2" angle grinder and away you go.

(You can find em on the net, although I get them from a local hardware suppliers, who tell me the local micro use loads of em to get rid of beer stone)

UP

UP, I'm having trouble finding these on T net! I can find the polishing stones but I presume these are for bench grinders. Any chance you could point menin the right direction matey?

Cheers

LB

Aleman said:
leedsbrew said:
unclepumble said:
Piece of P*ss to do though you need a beartex polishing disc about £3 attach to 4 1/2" angle grinder and away you go
UP, I'm having trouble finding these on T net!
Quick Google reveals all

You really want to get down to a local Fastener/engineering suppliers you want a tex material flapdisc, Scotch brite do a roloc system but its not the cheapest, Beartex is the one RS do as tony has flagged up, but they only sell to people with an account I think.;

You can get em on the net easy just look under surface conditioning disc scotch brite type. Or TEX type

But as i said once a burner has been under it for a bit it will soon go black underneath.

UP

Cheers UP, My brother is currently renovating his 1964 Ford Anglia and I know he has a good stack of flap disks for use on the body work! I'll get on to pestering him! Cheer again! :thumb:

Back