Where best to place the PID thermostat?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the PID thermostat is placed inside a thermowell I seem to recall that you need some sort of thermal grease to make it work efficiently, is that correct?
In my last modification for a RIMs tube probe I ditched the thermowell altogether and screwed the probe directly into the fitting so the probe is submerged directly in the liquid. For my kettle probe it is shared with my HLT so I need to swap the probe over when I'm diverting power from the kettle element to the HLT element so need to be able to move it around. Not really had any issues with the probe not reacting quickly enough. Its a decent fit and since its horizontal it will drop a bit so the probe tip will be in contact with the side or end of the thermowell so cant see you're going to bet better than metal on metal contact even if it is a small point of contact.

If the PID thermostat is placed inside a thermowell I seem to recall that you need some sort of thermal grease to make it work efficiently, is that correct?
I have started using thermal grease on the probe/thermowell in my RIMS system and noticed a more accurate response from the controller. I’m not saying it’s necessary but works for me so I’m sticking with it for the time being.

I have started using thermal grease on the probe/thermowell in my RIMS system and noticed a more accurate response from the controller. I’m not saying it’s necessary but works for me so I’m sticking with it for the time being.

I have some now so will be making use of it anyway :)

Latest posts

Back