Elderberry receipt question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PM

Reaction score
Last year made elderberry wine it was successful especially a bit sharp! 10.4% ABV
This year do again but 4 litre wasn't really enough for Christmas. So this receipt is for 4.5 litre if I want to make 9 litre do I double the receipt with one Lalvin RC 212? how do I reduce the sharpness?
https://homebrewanswers.com/elderberry-wine-recipe/

Last time we made elderberry wine was 25 years ago, so my knowledge is out of date.
But Elderberry wine is one that takes a long time to mature.

Will you make it in a single fermenting vessel, or 2 * demijohns?
The yeast sachets will often say they do a 21 litre batch of wine, so you should be able to split it between 2 * 5l

The other think to try is add a little sweetener (like you would use in tea or coffee) to offset the sharpness.
But you may need to experiment to work out the correct quantity.

In my experience elderberry is too tart on its own. I prefer it combined with Blackberry at a percentage of around 20%.
As Jof points out Elderberry wine needs a few years to mellow and I rarely want to wait that long.

Just trying to help someone out who isn't in receipt of an english birth certificate.

I too find etymology fascinating. But did think it was a detail too far. A recipe for disaster.

I certainly think AI will have a great impact on English language. We will soon all be speaking a surreal abbreviation rich machine-English. Which no doubt played a part in creating this thread.

Latest posts

Back