Energy cost

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardagutteridge

Reaction score
:cheers: Hi all. I have been AG brewing for almost 18 months now, thanks Moley, and would like to ask about the cost if I used propane.

At the moment I am using 'lecky which works out to between £1.30-£1.50 per brew.

How many brews can you get from a cylinder of gas? Don't matter what size you use as I can get the rest of the info I would need of t'internet.

Regards Richard G :drink:

I very much doubt if it would be cheaper. Given the cost of a 6Kg cylinder of propane these days. (or bigger) plus you have to brew outside (brrr :D )
I have done both but not brewed using my SS boiler & ring for a couple of years due to the refill costs, with electric it is all part of the whole bill :grin:

I run my boiler on propane.

I run my 8.8kW burner under a 70 Litre pan (50 Litre brew length) for about 2 hours on a brew day.

So far I have got 15 brews out of my 19Kg bottle, and it's still going, but I think it is nearly empty now, I have another one ready though.

I don't brew outdoors either, I brew in the garage, much warmer than outside even with the big door open.

Runwell-Steve said:
I run my boiler on propane.

I run my 8.8kW burner under a 70 Litre pan (50 Litre brew length) for about 2 hours on a brew day.

So far I have got 15 brews out of my 19Kg bottle, and it's still going, but I think it is nearly empty now, I have another one ready though.

I don't brew outdoors either, I brew in the garage, much warmer than outside even with the big door open.

I must have a similar setup as you Steve. I paid £20 for my last 19kg bottle of propane and have done about 18 brews so far. It is getting a bit light though. Of course I need to add the cost of the HLT which is electric. Oh, and the heat belt and pid for fermentation.

I paid 35 quid for a 47Kg refill last time . . . Going to take my (empty) 19Kg back and get another 47Kg as a spare, as it is much more cost effective to refill a large one than a small one.

IIRC it cost me 11 quid to refill a 6Kg bottle for camping :evil: :evil:

That little one was £13-50 when I got one for the caravan in the summer .And since we are all on bottled gas round my way theres plenty of places to choose from and I get mine at the cheapest place ,my agricultural feed merchant . A big bottle was £59 in the summer and I know its gone up since . 65 I was quoted the other week thats why I am using the 19kg I already had for another job. Now I know ,next time I am up country I will get some in !

Mike1981 said:
how many brews do you get from a 47kg bottle approx tony?
I don't know . . . I've only had it since Feb . . . But I do run an 11KW burner with it

Latest posts

Back