UK weather: Snow forecast and warnings in place as temperatures plummet

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
60% chance of snow here tomorrow i dont mind if it puts a bit down for the kids but i hope its gone by Monday.

Have any other members had it forecast for tommorrow?

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/

Simon King & Marita Moloney
BBC Weather

Temperatures could drop as low as -10C (14F) in parts of the UK on Friday, with snow also forecast, as the current cold spell continues.
A warning for ice and snow will be in place for eastern England and parts of Scotland overnight into Saturday.
In some areas schools have closed and there has been disruption on the roads due to the frosty conditions.
Thursday was the coldest night in the UK since mid-March, with temperatures in Cumbria dipping to -9.4C overnight.
Temperatures of between -3C to -6C were widely seen across the UK, even in major towns and cities. It was -5C in Manchester and Edinburgh and -3C in south-west London and Birmingham.
Snow swept across south-west England, parts of Yorkshire, the North East and Scotland, while hilly areas - including the North York Moors and parts of Scotland - will see more snow later, forecasters said.

More than 30 schools in Cornwall closed for the day or opened late due to hazardous conditions.
Many areas of the North East woke up to a blanket of snow, causing delays for motorists and some schools to close.
In County Durham, police said snowy conditions led to some crashes on the roads, while North Yorkshire Police reported 100 cars stuck between Whitby and Scarborough.
Overnight from Thursday into Friday morning, some of the coldest places were:
  • England: Shap, Cumbria -9.4C
  • Scotland: Eskdalemuir, Dumfries and Galloway -8C
  • Northern Ireland: Katesbridge, Co Down -6.2C
  • Wales: Whitchurch, Pembrokeshire -6C
Yellow warnings for ice for Northern Ireland and south-west England ended at 10:00, but in some central and south-eastern areas of England freezing fog posed an additional hazard on Friday morning.
By Friday lunchtime, large parts of the UK were experiencing crisp, cold and sunny weather.
Further warnings for ice and snow will come into force from 17:00 GMT down the entire east coast of England, northern and western Scotland and parts of the north-west of England.
Yellow Met Office warnings mean people could face hazardous conditions, with disruption and delays likely on roads and railways and icy patches on roads and pavements.

Temperatures during the day will barely get above 0C across many areas. But as the evening begins - with clear skies and light winds expected - temperatures will quickly drop well below freezing.
The Met Office told the PA news agency there could be 2cm (0.79in) to 5cm (2in) of snow for areas 100m (328ft) to 200m (656ft) above sea level, particularly in Northern Ireland and western Scotland.
Friday night will be even colder than previous nights, with temperatures into Saturday morning reaching -4 to -8C in a number of areas, and possibly as low as -10C in north-east Scotland.
As for snow, there will be further wintry downfalls for a time around North Sea coasts but into the weekend some rain or sleet and snow showers will start coming in from the west.
There is even the chance of some significant snow in Wales, the Midlands and parts of northern England by Sunday morning, even at low levels.
Separately, the UK Health Security Agency has issued an amber cold-health alert for the health sector for a number of regions in England, meaning "significant impacts are probable".
The alert indicates that the cold weather is likely to affect the whole health service, with the potential for the entire population to be at risk, the agency says.
The alert is in place for the East Midlands, West Midlands, North West, North East and Yorkshire and the Humber until 5 December.

We have about 40cm of snow here now, expect it to about double by the time the new year is here...

Forecasts are more of a general suggestion of what to expect up here this time of year, for the coming week you can expect clear and cold weather or cloudy, not so cold and snowfall, how much cold or how much snow is a surprise!

1701457151757.png

Attachments

• IMG_20231129_083722.jpg
    IMG_20231129_083722.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
We rarely get deep snow here and it turns to slush fairly soon after its settled TBH i am glad as its nice on Christmas cards not so much if you have to drive through it.

Its put a few inches down here and it isn't going to stop anytime soon they dont clear the side roads here and its a fair way to the main road so as the beer is in the fridge and the nibbles are in the cupboard i will not be venturing out today. cheers:

1701524500405.png

We've been like the below for a few days. The photo was taken looking west in the morning, I think the fact that the sky looks like dawn is breaking is a result of the geomagnetic storms (auroras) we were having at the time - auroral arc I think rather than actual aurora, although it would be nice if it was an actual aurora. (Daughters horse in the foreground wanting his breakfast).

Snow.JPG

Glad i had no reason to leave the house today its been a bit rough around here -

1701543417700.png

Back