equipment questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elton95

Reaction score
Right,

First off, i have no way currently to keep a ferment at a consistent temperature, i have a spare fridge if this is any help?

Second, to boil the water required would it be possible to use a boiling urn as such, the electrical ones that is. I dont know if it'll boil to hot.

Third, if the question above using an urn is wrong and unsuitable, what could i use for a cheap and easy method for heating the wort inside or out as it'll vary where i brew as my mums a keen baker and hence uses the kitchen often.

Thanks alot, Elts :wha:

You can buy an STC1000 and a tubular heater. Those two used in conjunction with your spare fridge will work well for keeping a constant temperature.

Are you brewing kits? How much water do you need? If you are AG brewing (or will be) a tea urn will work well, probably a 40l one :thumb:

Tean urns work well, some will work straight out of the box, others might need some minor modifications. The 40 litre Buffalo boiler sold by Nesbitts (sometimes sold cheap on their Ebay clearance store) is popular. A lot of people (me included) use them unmodified without any problem. If you do have to modify it there's plenty of threads on here telling you what to do - it often just involves moving a sensor.

Like Joe said your fridge can be turned into a temp controlled fermenting fridge for about £40 for an STC-1000, a tube heater, an project box to put it in and some electrical bits - again lots of instructions can be found on here

Okay thanks. Is there much eletrical work required for the fridge mod? Im currently doing an cnc engineering apprenticeship and is there any coding to be done with the stc? I done 2 years ict a level if it helps but working with wires im awful.

How much you think this whole set-up will cost?

Thanks.

The stc needs a little simple wiring, no coding.

Why do you need a tea urn for kits? Will the kettle boiled a few times not do? A tea urn seems overkill IMHO.

I dont know on the kettle. It fustrates me not being effcient. Its been drilled into me at work

I'm a complete novice at wiring / electricity / DIY and I made a brew fridge without any bother. There's links to youtube videos on this site which actually show you exactly what wiring is needed. Was all very easy once you've watched the video on loop for the hour or so it takes a novice to do it all.

Also, all you need to make kits is a plastic fermenting bucket. Boiling things is for extract / AG brewing. Kits have this bit done for you, with possibly some dry hopping to do half way through.

kit brewing you only need a couple of kettle fulls of hot water, mixed with cold up to your volume required.
a plastic bucket to brew it all in.
a brew fridge to ferment in then condition your bottles in
bottles,caps and or screw tops
little stuff like thermometers...A HYDROMETER plastic stirring spoon and your away....
Your brew day consists of just mixing and stirring then leaving alone... :D

As already said you don't need an urn for kits but if you get into AG brewing they work well. A brew fridge is your priority as fermentation temperature is crucial. See my signature below for posts I have done on both these.
Elton95 said:
Second, to boil the water required would it be possible to use a boiling urn as such, the electrical ones that is. I dont know if it'll boil to hot.
Did you mean "I don't know if it'll boil too hot"? Once water is boiling, it doesn't get any hotter - it begins to turn to steam. So the water will stay at 100C (assuming you're at sea level).

Latest posts

Back